Friday 23 November 2018

A Christmas Decoration In Penarth Better Than The Town Centre Lights


Hello there. Hope you're feeling well today.

On Tuesday I attempted to break one Christmas tradition. Which is I refuse point blank to buy any presents before December 1st. Now to be fair I was nagged into this by my daughter. She had been to see the turning on of the Christmas lights in Penarth Town Centre (unimpressive apparently - indeed when I saw them hanging limp and forlorn in the daylight they appeared to be the same ones as last year's.....and the year before...but I digress)

Anyway after the lights were done wife, daughter and a friend (I was at work) went to various shops. Including one which had a pomegranate candle (every home should have one) which the wife and her friend expressed approval. Daughter noting this nagged me to go and buy it for the wife for Christmas. Hence the trip on Tuesday.

Remember the word I used at the beginning was "attempted". Daughter told me which shop. Said the candle was not Yankee Candles. Went to the shop. They only sold Yankee candles and there were no pomegranate ones.

So rather than just go away I was aware of another gift shop in the town. Hoopers in Ludlow Street. Outside it's just a small shop next to a butchers and a closed down place. Opposite there's a carpet store and a hairdressers. All seemingly small. All seemingly ordinary.

Hoopers though small has two floors. And whilst searching for these candles I walked up to the first floor where I saw on the ceiling this....

Did not expect this
What the picture does not covey is that it's a roundabout...those deers move. It would've been impressive in a department store (whilst they still exist) but in a relatively small place like this it was stunning.

I wish I could say I bought something there but there were no candles to be seen (I'm only going to stretch traditions so far). But if I'm in Penarth after 1st December I will have a look. After all that effort they deserve it. And if you're in Penarth town have a look at it as well.

Trust me it will be more interesting than the lights.

Until the next time.




No comments:

Post a Comment