Saturday 1 December 2018

Why All Readers Should Follow The Mastermind Principle Of "I've Started So I'll Finish"


Hello there. Hope you're feeling well today.

Regular readers to this blog will know that the few devout rules I have in my life is that, with certain extreme exceptions, I follow the Mastermind Principle when it comes to books in that no matter what I think about it "I've started so I've finished".

Well according to writer James Colley I shouldn't be bothered. If I don't like it. Throw it away and go to the next one.

Here is the link:https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2018/nov/30/the-joy-of-not-finishing-books-if-you-dont-like-it-dont-read-it

The subtitle to this piece is that " you'll simply not read every book in your lifetime". Well yes. Neither will I see every film, TV Series or play. But it's through circumstance. If you've opened the pages of a book you are in. You are honour bound to finish it. For only then can you truly comment.

And he is not talking about "difficult" books. He's talking about books where you're well into it but don't feel engaged with the characters. Well some books are like that. But some books might lead you into a false sense of security to a surprising conclusion but of course if you haven't finished you will not know.

Mr Colley talks of a "joy" that you feel if you put down a book that has not been working for you. Really? If I did that then I would feel as if I've surrendered. For books are not a quick fix drug. They slowly work on you. If though Mr Colley wants the literary equivalent of a Big Mac (enjoyable at the time forgotten soon after) can I suggest the Jack Reacher series by Lee Child. For it's that he seems to desire in books.

I've read Don Quixote by Miguel De Cervantes and I did not like it. You may agree or disagree with my view (it's in this blog) but whose opinion would you listen to? The person who finished the book or the one who couldn't be bothered to?

I am not a Mastermind. But I am and will always be a reader. And only true readers know that following the Mastermind Principle is the duty you have as a reader. Anything less and you've failed.

Until the next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment