Wednesday 6 February 2019

Am I Thick When It Comes To Science Books? Well Possibly.....


Hello there. Hope you're feeling well today.

So this was the latest library book I've read.

Modest Ambitions here...


And it's similar to the book I briefly chatted about earlier this year. It's a science book that Mr Chown explains is designed for the man on the number 25 bus.

(As an aside that comment endeared him to me given that whilst not the man in the seventies I was the boy on the number 25 bus as it took me from Forest Gate in the East End of London to what was then the glamour that was Ilford in Essex)

So did it succeed in explaining the scientific stuff to me? Well ultimately no.

I will say that of the two books it came closer. But with each chapter came the moment when scientific theory had to be explained and whilst in the beginning I caught on eventually it got complicated and oh my brain hurt.

So let's get back to the title of this post. Regarding scientific books am I thick as two short planks? Well yes and no. Science was never my subject at school and whilst you could get by for a while by just learning the previous lesson ultimately when it came to exams I just couldn't hack it. I just didn't have the passion.

However as a reader there are other (many) subjects that I'm not expert at where I've read non fiction books that I've enjoyed. So why not science?

Based on the wide cross section that are these two books I suspect that it may be that it's because there's too much science and not enough people. Now I know what you're going to say. "Too much science in a science book? Is this man mad?" (A debate for a later post I'm sure).

But the point is this. Archimedes discovered that the volume of water from a container by realising it when he went to have a bath. Similarly whether apocryphal or not everyone knows of the story of Issac Newton discovering gravity because of the fallen apple. These two scientific events are well known not just because of the discovery but also the human events that led up to it.

So perhaps one day I'll find the science book for the general reader that is able to do this. And if it comes I promise you'll be the first to know.

Until the next time.




No comments:

Post a Comment