Tuesday 9 April 2019

I Wonder If There's A German Word For It?


Hello there. Hope you're feeling well today.

One of the few German words non speakers know is schadenfreude which means the joy in the misery of others. Something close, but not quite, happened to me in the past couple of days.

So I come to work and the person I'm replacing for the afternoon/evening is looking good. There's a particular task that has to be done but that person couldn't do it at the time. So I instead had to do it.

The thing was that if I eventually did this task it would look good on me. Even if I couldn't finish it no blame would fall on me. And for those particular days whilst I still had my main job to do other peripheral tasks were to be ignored.

So in other words win, win and win.

And it did make me wonder whether there was a German for those very rare days where work just becomes unexpectedly easy and all of it's problems go away.

But before you consider me too smug. As I was doing this task I raised my head and promptly hit my head over a metal shelf. Thankfully my head wasn't split but as I write this there is a bump on my head almost cartoon like.

I think that's what they call Karma.

Until the next time.


No comments:

Post a Comment