Tuesday 17 July 2018

So The Thing I Can't Do In Bed......And Other Things To Do With Reading Including A Bit Of Gore


Hello there. Hope you're feeling well today.

This morning I woke up early (again) around four o'clock but for reasons I can't say today I was unable to go into the living room and either watch the TV or go on the laptop. So what could I do? I decided to try again what I haven't done in a while.

Read in bed.

No point in going online. I saw the news yesterday. This country seems to be run by a government and a Prime Minister in the form of a nervous breakdown.

Unfortunately I couldn't do it. I've never understand those scenes where somebody is engrossed in a book propped up in bed. I can't do it. My back starts to go into knots. I get uncomfortable.

I just can't do it.

Must admit it doesn't help that one of the books I'm reading, 1876 by Gore Vidal is something I'm not enthused about so far. I've reached almost halfway and I can't say I've read a more dull book in a long while. When I say dull, I don't mean that intellectually it's beyond me (and regular readers will know I'm not afraid to say when that's the case) but that very little actually seems to happen. I hope that it's not going to be one of those novels where everything including the kitchen sink is thrown.

Went to the library today. This was the book I got.

Simon Beckett - The Restless Dead

Now this seems to have an interesting link. It's set in Essex where I was in exile earlier in the month to look after my mother. And the covering blurb says that Mr Beckett (who I've never read before) has "forensic detail to rival Kathy Reichs" whose life was the basis for the TV series Bones which I became a fan of when I returned from hospital after seeing my mother.

Connections eh? Never watched it in bed though.

Until the next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment