Tuesday 4 December 2018

The Return Of A King


Hello there. Hope you're feeling well today.

I have I must admit not read that many Stephen King books in my life. Not at any dislike of the horror genre or a snobby attitude towards bestselling writers but simply because there's so many books and so little time.

So based on a very small sample I can't say I'm really all that much of a fan. Simply because the plots seem to be that a person (group of people) face some incredible evil beyond the forces of human knowledge and yet with one bound he/she/it pulls through. To which my thought is "Really"?

Indeed of the small number (it really needs to be stressed) that I have read the only one I really liked was his non fiction trek into the genre on books, films and TV Danse Macarbre. It has been decades since a book of his (and he's prolific. Prolific in a "I'm writing by myself not James Patterson like with someone else") has come my way.

But cometh a trip to the library cometh the book.

Revival

As regular readers will know I try not to chat about the plot as much as  I possibly can. So let me say this it's not a gore-fest. What happens is a slowly building sense of unease. I like my horror that way.

Also as is rare in such a book it's difficult to say there's an evil character as such. Which makes the book's moral questions credible.

You can tell I think from the above two sentences that I loved this novel. Obviously I'd need to read a lot more but it made me think of John Wyndham writer of the Day Of The Triffids in that within the demands of the genre Stephen King is trying to write an extraordinary story in as ordinary a way as possible. No hyperbole with Mr King.

My interest in the King is not dead. It is revived.

Until the next time.


No comments:

Post a Comment