Thursday 13 December 2018

Where Was An Office Christmas Party?


Hello there. Hope you're feeling well today.

What I'm going to say is purely anecdotal. Based on what I saw with my eyes and nothing else. But I think worth a chat.

Yesterday evening I was in Cardiff Bay with wife,daughter and relatives of mine who came up for a visit. It was around seven o'clock.

We were at an Italian restaurant for a meal. It was all pleasant enough. I had the Spaghetti Sophia Loren which was fine though why it was named after her is beyond me.

Now Cardiff Bay for those who don't know is the deliberately fashionable area of the city. "Regenerated" is the word that's used. Not Doctor Who regeneration oh no. Urban regeneration which means tart the area up to appeal to more wealthy people moving in and not those who helped build the legend that is Tiger bay in the first place.

The Welsh parliament the Senedd is also here.

And it's also Christmas (boy from someone who's turned into a curmudgeon I'm writing a lot about it in this blog recently).

But despite all of this. All of this. The restaurant was nearly empty.

And as we left a few hours later into the cold night air I noticed other restaurants were relatively empty as well. On the streets there wasn't the normal drunken dregs of the office Christmas party. They were practically barren also.

I'm not saying no office parties have occurred in Cardiff Bay or anywhere else in Wales. But if one night's experience is of any guide perhaps they've been (in comparison) quiet affairs.

Perhaps the ghost of Brexit present has already arrived.

Until the next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment