Friday 15 April 2016

Why Bridgend Town Should Vote Plaid Cymru

Hello there. Hope you're feeling well today.

Although it was the crisis in Port Talbot that pushed me over the edge to join Plaid Cymru there were various issues that moved me joining beforehand. One of them was the state of Bridgend Town which I visited last on Tuesday.

I do need to say is that I have no idea of facts and figures about what I'm going to chat about. Nor do I have a precise idea about the demarcation lines between the Labour controlled National Assembly for Wales and the Labour run Bridgend Council. But I have eyes and I can see the decline in a town where administrations both national and local appear to have done little.

The second thing is that I'm well aware that town centres everywhere have been affected by various issues such as the shopping on the Internet, out of town stores and of course the recession. But even taking that into account Bridgend Town compares badly not just with Pontypridd or Port Talbot but with the other main towns in the area Porthcawl and Maesteg as well.

Here is the first example. Admittedly the most extreme one.

More life in a tombstone

This building was, believe it or not the local McDonald's in the town. I'm not sure why it closed down. I think questions of damp was mentioned. That however is not the point. The point is that it closed down sixteen years ago. Sixteen years and nothing. Surely the council/assembly could have done something in that time to help revitalise the building? But apparently not.

Bridgend Town does have a small shopping centre called The Rhiw which also incorporates the indoor market. If you exclude the market I'd guesstimate that a sixth of the shops are closed or closing down.
This is the entrance the shopping centre. Next to it is a closed down shop that sold cards
The shop on the right was a charity shop

Latest to be closing down


And of course let's not forget the Phones4U shop. As if it was closed yesterday.



In the next photo the building on the left was a pub. Even some closed pubs can't be revitalised it appears (though another one is being restored through National Lottery funding....yes I know).



There are regeneration projects in the town. Though even they have issues surrounding them. Here's the first example.

Crane Action
That crane is apparently part of a project containing new apartments and retail developments. Now I'm not a retail expert and I genuinely wish it success. But what is the point of building something bright and shiny and don't try and first regenerate the decay around it? Those closed shops in this picture have been closed for about a year. The shop on the right had been trading for decades. I visited it on the penultimate day before closure when everything that was movable was for sale. The lady behind the counter was almost in tears.

The cultural centre
So example two. This building is a cultural centre. Again I'm in two minds about it. On the one hand I again genuinely wish it's success. Bridgend Town needs such a building. But have a look at this photo. It was the town centre Public Library until the council in its wisdom decided to move it to be situated next to the leisure centre (now called ....hold the sick bag....... The Bridgend Life Centre). It has probably become the only town where the town centre library is a ten minute walk from the town centre.

Oh and for the record I've been to the library twice. It's the most high tech and modern example I've ever been too. I also hate it with a passion best described as psychotic.

And if you want to know what's almost opposite the centre.

Still Life Model perhaps

All of this decline has been under for most of this period under a Labour administration. It's another reason why Bridgend and Wales need a change and in my view that change is Plaid Cymru.

Of course let's chat about other things in the town as well. It has the worst and my most favourite statute. Here's the worst one....

In front of the public lavatories. Seems appropriate

Now at first glance there doesn't appear to be anything wrong with this statute. But look closely. No one can position their legs or turn their head like our friend above. I don't want it destroyed though. It has a "so bad it's good" quality.

But on the other hand here's my favourite statue. A guy sitting and reading. Something I can relate to. 

Of course future generations will think that he's reading from a tablet
And a shout out for the Welsh Language shop in the town.

Siop A'r Hen Bont

Until the next time.








No comments:

Post a Comment