Friday 17 February 2017

Through A Glass Dimly


Hello there. Hope you're feeling well today.

For just over a week and a half  I have been having this sort of conversation at work.

"New glasses?"

"Old glasses. Daughter accidentally knocked them and they're beyond repair. Got my appointment with the optician for Thursday".

"Thought they looked a bit retro".

Cool or What?
This conversation reveals several things. Firstly people think that I look an idiot in these backups but the Bridgend fashion police would appear to put me on bail until my next pair is revealed to the outside world. Also Of all the items of I've ever worn, and despite the wife moaning about my taste in clothes it's my backup pair of specs that has drawn comment from people outside of the family.

What I also need to mention is that I went to Tesco opticians last Monday to arrange an appointment the first one that was available was a week and a half later. So much for speedy private sector service.

As I think you can guess from the stylish back up. The main pair of glasses were not only modest in look but also had extremely thin lenses to hide the fact that they were in fact quite strong. This cost money.

The reason therefore why my last eyesight test was around 2008 was quite simple. Unemployment. I just considered the cost of the glasses was just too much to have a test. You might consider me mad, but that's the sort of thing that comes into reckoning when monies are tight.

Even when I returned back to work having an eyesight test was low on my list of priorities if only because my eyesight didn't appear to get worse. Now however that my main glasses were a twisted piece of metal the time for the test had come.

It appears that things apparently have not really changed with eyesight tests after all these years. There were the preliminary tests where you had to look at a machine and focus on a balloon and then get puffs of air attacking your eye. After which comes the main tests where you have lenses placed in front of your eyes and proclaim letters on the board as if you're solemnly swearing allegiance to North Korea followed by looking at coloured circles to suggest any difference.

And you know what? My eyesight is slightly better. Let's get things into perspective here. Without glasses I'll always have need for a white stick and a Labrador but still, pleasing to know.

So should the Bridgend fashion police be reading this my glasses have been chosen. Two as it happens as there was a buy one get one free offer. "Fashionable" glasses make me laugh. There was a group of glasses from Nike. Nike? You cannot be serious. Eventually one with the thin lenses was picked specifically because it was the closest to my previous one. The backup with thicker lenses was more difficult to choose. The young lady from Tesco suggested a rounded dark framed pair that looked as if I was going to leave there and walk straight into a nineteen thirties black and white British movie. That was the last time they were in fashion.

Eventually I plumped for a dark rimmed sixties styled pair that reminded me of the sort Michael Caine wore in The Ipcress File(better than the book I'd suggest but that's for another day). Didn't appear to do him any harm. After all that and an ability to cook canned food made him irresistible to Sue Lloyd.

Apparently they'll be ready in three weeks (?). Oh if Tesco are monitoring my blog (after all I'm old enough to remember a time when they were apparently seeking world domination) whatever questions I have about Tesco opticians as an organisation the people were professional and personable. I've no complaints.

Until the next time.




No comments:

Post a Comment