Sunday 11 February 2018

Why Plaid Cymru Should Not Panic Part Three: Alyn And Deeside


Hello there. Hope you're feeling well today.

Though in Essex exile at the moment as I'm looking after my mother I wasn't unaware of the recent by-election in Alyn and Deeside following the suicide of Carl Sargeant.

I've spoken about the background to Mr Sargeant's death and the possible effect on First Minister Carwyn Jones before so I'm not going to discuss that. But if Twitter is a guide the by-election would appear to have to caused a reaction within Plaid Cymru as they lost share of the vote.

It is my view that this is not a by-election where you can judge Plaid Cymru one way or the other. Whilst I don't have the answer as to why the Liberals increased the vote. The choice of Mr Sargeant's son as Labour candidate clearly had an emotional appeal which made it difficult for Plaid to have taken votes away from the governing party in the National Assembly.

I have also said before that things will not be simple for Plaid Cymru in the near future. Since the last UK general election where Labour did surprisingly well people have the hope that they can just give that one last push and become the government. I know that this was an election for the National Assembly but Welsh Labour, even though they don't deserve it, have benefited from it.

But the moment will come when Labour will be perceived as a weak opposition or an unpopular government and this is where Plaid Cymru needs to strike. Any discontent in the meantime will be highlighted in the media, will be a distraction and will only help the undeserving Welsh Labour party.

Until the next time.


No comments:

Post a Comment