Tuesday 30 August 2016

How I Try To Be Emotionally Brilliant Whilst Cutting The Grass


Hello there. Hope you're feeling well today.

Twitter is a great thing most of the time. If only because it links you to the world. Occasionally though it gets silly. Particular when people tweet with attached articles explaining how you can publish a book in twelve seconds, improve on your self publishing sales or become self publisher of the year.

On Monday I was a tweeted a link from "The Entrepreneur" website with a headline as follows:
"How Emotionally Brilliant Leaders Turn Envy Into Something More Beneficial".

You could instantly tell from that it was written by a certain type of American. As no other nation is capable of producing such  twaddle from the title alone and expect to be taken seriously.To be precise the writer was Sean Kelly. Described as SnackNation.com CEO (whose website speaks of "Office Snack Delivery - Delicious healthy Snacks for awesome offices") and professional high fiver (as opposed to I assume the unimportant amateur variety).

Essentially what it was saying that you should not be envious of other people's success but to be inspired in a gradual way to improve. Then envy would fade away and "an abundance mindset" would take over.

Purely on the grounds that I had nothing better to do on this Monday I decided to apply it to a "real life situation". That situation would be cutting the grass on an unusually hot day for a Bank Holiday.

My neighbour has placed time,care and money onto producing a garden which could not be said of me. I'm not envious about this situation normally, which I assume would have me deserving of a high five from someone as professional as Mr Kelly were it not for the fact that it has reached jungle height where some suburban wildlife is capable of scurrying across the grass unnoticed. There is a slight envy here of a sort in that my neighbour cares whereas I tidiness aside do not. Wish I could care but cannot be bothered (no high fives from Mr Kelly there).Even on that small comparison of tidiness though our garden was currently failing.

To be fair to myself there were excuses (work, weather and having to go to Epping and back twice in a week). But I was not at work on Monday and the weather was fine. There were no excuses anymore.

And so the garden was cut. Despite the handles coming off the mower (a screw came loose - no idea where that went) it was back to my preferred dull but tidy set up. Suburbia would not award it a prize, that would go to my neighbour. But I'd be marked satisfactory which is fine by me.

Released from my slight petunia envy did I feel "an abundance mindset"?  No. Once the job was done I felt the need to to increase the abundance in my stomach (fuelled by the sort of snacks Mr Kelly would not approve of) with dinner and after a reasonable break to go and relax in a bath.

Am I an emotionally brilliant leader? Well not to American salesmen and their female counterparts.Tomorrow though starts the question of where as a family will we go for a daytrip and that will really take some emotional brilliance.

Until the next time.




No comments:

Post a Comment