Monday 3 April 2017

Bridgend Town: An Addendum


Hello there. Hope you're feeling well today.

I had honestly not intended to write anything further about Bridgend Town since my last piece. Even though the house move will be later than originally anticipated I'd assume that it would not disintegrate further.

Well I was wrong. So wrong that I didn't have enough charge on my phone to take pictures of shops that have apparently closed down since the last post, so you'll have to take my word for it.

I was in the town today as had to give the solicitor a copy of the gas heating certificate for the house. Whilst driving towards the centre on its outskirts, literally a traffic light system throw away, I noticed that a shop that sold double glazed windows was closed. And when I say closed, I mean gutted of almost everything that was in there, including a lifesized cardboard cut out of ex snooker player Steve Davis, dressed in all his snookery finery.

There is also a possibility that two other shops in the town centre that I'd noticed the shutters were down at eleven o'clock on a Monday morning have also closed down permanently. I say "possibility" because there wasn't enough time for me to check and see whether it was just closed today for some reason (like a funeral). Should I return to Bridgend Town for some reason I'll double check on this. It's why I would not have posted pictures of those shops today anyway.

So, one more shop definitely closed down with the possibility of a further two as well. With every day that passes Bridgend Town seems to slowly die before your eyes and yet nobody in positions of power seem to be helping it in any way whatsoever.

Bridgend Town will soon be described, if it hasn't been already, as an urban tragedy.

Until the next time.




No comments:

Post a Comment