Thursday 4 January 2018

Listening To West Ham United With My Mother Part 2


Hello there. Hope you're feeling well today.

Well for the second time in three days am listening to West Ham United playing against minor blog villain Tottenham. I'm with my mother in Essex being nursemaid whilst she's recovering from a virus infection. She is thankfully better though for reasons I'm not going to explain I won't be able to return to Wales until Tuesday possibly Monday.

My mother is not that knowledgeable on football.

"Who are West Ham playing?" Tottenham I respond. She gives a look that suggests that she's heard of them but that's the amount of her

"Is Nobby Stiles still alive?"

"What's happened to the manager with Bobby Moore?" Ron Greenwood? I answer. No. After twenty questions it turned out she was talking about Harry Redknapp.

There was an early Spurs chance "Have they scored?" No.

Constant Spurs pressure. "Where's it being played?" asks my mother. "Wembley"
"Ah" she says "whilst the new stadium is being built".
She knew that?

There is the tone from the BBC Radio 5 Live commentary that suggests Tottenham are going to score soon. I hear the sound of "Bubbles" in the air. The summariser is Steve Claridge, an ex-footballer with more clubs than Jack Nicklaus, and whose book Tales From The Boot Camps I'd recommend.

It is goalless in the first half. 74% possession for Spurs but goalless. This is so far so good.

"Can you do bacon in a microwave?" asks my mother. With every day that passes she's asking for more things food wise. She fancies that for lunch tomorrow. Fine by me.

Second half seems dull when all of a sudden there's a penalty call for Spurs. Apparently it was a good call. No penalty....thankfully. Shortly another penalty call. Again rejected by the referee Mike Dean. A man Arsene Wenger doesn't like. Arsene Wenger: a man who proved the Grinch didn't try to steal Christmas, he was too busy managing Arsenal.

Then against the run of play Obiang scores for West Ham on twenty minutes . A brilliant goal to watch on radio apparently.The excitement portion of the commentary and the crowd increases. You don't think.....?

Thirteen minutes remaining. See the goal on Twitter.....wow!

Then Son scores for Tottenham. Apparently just as good as Obiang's. 1-1 then.

That's how the match finishes. Must admit I'd have taken that result at the start of the game.

My mother was asleep for most of the second half. At the end of the match she wakes up.

"Who won?"

I tell her it was a draw.

"At least they didn't lose".

True enough.

Until the next time.





















No comments:

Post a Comment