Saturday 10 November 2018

The Amazon £5 Random E-Book Buying Game : November Edition


Hello there. Hope you're feeling well today.

As I've not played this game in a while these are the rules.

Armed with just £5 in my e pocket I try to buy as many ebooks for my Kindle as possible starting with the Daily Deals and seeing how recommendations they influence me....and that's it.

This time though I'm going to match the number of books bought by getting the same number of free Classic books they do. Just starting with the recommendations from the last classic novel I read. Agnes Grey.

So let's begin:

Nothing interests me on the Daily Deals. Does Amazon really think anybody but snobs would be interested in the Ritz cookbook? Even if it is for 99p (I wonder why?!)

Go through their autumn deals for 99p again nothing interests me until I see a copy of Wishful Drinking by the late Carrie Fisher. A writer I've always wanted to read but never got round too. Bought 99p.

Trawl through the recommended picks. Nothing. That is until I see The Complete works of Henry David Thoreau. I remember once buying a postcard when I was a teenager where he spoke of people following a different drummer. Funny after all these years it comes back to me. Bought 99p.

Lies We Tell Ourselves by Robin Talley. Shortlisted for the 2016 Booker prize is 99p. Worth a shout. Bought.

Peterloo The Massacre And it's Background by Donald Reed is topical not just for the film but also the unequal society has returned to Britain. Highly praised the book is 99p. Bought.

Finally Nick Spalding's novel Checking Out seems interesting. 99p. Bought.

So five free books to get.

Starting with The Way Of The Flesh by Samuel Butler. A book which seems ahead of it's time.

So we add also by Mr Butler Erewhon Revisited. Then Hudibras, then his notebooks and finally his book on Evolution. Not sure it it's supposed to be funny or not. Will find out in due time.

I think in all the cases of the free books it's fair to say the Butler did it.....I'll get my coat.

Until the next time






No comments:

Post a Comment