Friday 2 November 2018

The Formula For Animal Books Non Animal Enthusiasts Would Like Is Simple: It Can't Be Just About Animals


Hello there. Hope you're feeling well today.

My library choices in the small place in Sully I go to are weird I know. On one side the first thing is a display cabinet with the latest books they have. On the other side is their non fiction where so far I've reached their animal tomes. Which is why the books I randomly pick are so varied as I've said before because I'm reading as many "reasonable" books from there as I can.

(when I say "reasonable" I could have picked "How to Raise Chickens" when picking the latest book. But given that a) I live in an apartment and b) I wouldn't even consider raising chickens unless there was a plague wiping out most of the world's population and I needed to farm to survive)

Which explains why the next book turned out to be this.

Chandi - Tina Humphrey

This is the book of a dog who was on Britain's Got Talent and it's owner. Regular readers will know that I'm not a domestic wolf a phobic so I would normally have avoided this like the plague. But cometh the library death wish cometh the man.

The book was published in 2012. Something I wanted to check the moment Ms Humphrey advised that when she was younger one of her big thrills was going on Jim'll Fix it!

Now I'm not going to be harsh on this. Given that clearly I'm not it's audience. But on reading I realised that something I mentioned it passing before is probably a rough rule with regard to animal books for people like me and as the title of the post exists it can't just be about animals.

For me the most moving  section of this book was when Ms Humphey's discusses the death of parents. That was truly impressive and emotional. But for the most part we're reading about finding a dogs, training dogs and going on competitions with dogs so for people like me it's going on and on about it gets waring.

Emma Gray's book about being a shepherd in a remote farm in Northumbria or Franoise Malby-Anthony on running a safari park alone in a foreign country neither was just about animals. Of course animals have to play a substantial part in these books but there are other factors that make it interesting to the non animal enthusiast.

So if you love animals the book would perfect. Otherwise best left on the library shelf.

Until the next time.






No comments:

Post a Comment