Friday 24 June 2016

So The Dark Ages Begin......I'll start Learning Polish Now


Hello there. Hope you're feeling well today.

Woke up sometime between 5:30 - 6 in the morning. Outside was rather bright. Once I turned the TV on however I knew that the dark ages had come. For the result of the referendum was clear. Leave has won. Brexit begins.

A few hours later. Cameron comes out and says he will resign as Prime Minister in October to be spend more time with his money. For the moment at least, Britain. Britain is on the brink of being controlled by people some of whom at least seem to be a few jackboots short of a Sieg Heil.

Needless to say I'd voted Remain yesterday. But as I mentioned in my earlier post on the referendum a few weeks back I said that if the vote was to leave then immigration would be the reason. For as I said at the time nothing furthers the far right more than the perception of rampant unfettered swathes of people coming from "abroad" no matter how far from the reality that is..

Most who voted to leave the EU because of immigration are not racists . They are good people with genuine concerns fanned by Leave campaigners that the Remain side seemed unable to properly address. If there was one error of the group that wanted to stay, it was that.

It does not surprise me that the majority of people in Wales voted to leave. People have been fed propaganda of foreigners from Eastern Europe coming over to take British people's jobs, sponging on welfare / National Health Service and as Romania was part of it this "influx" sucking on people's blood during the night hours (Ok I lied about that but the atmosphere that developed through the referendum was so toxic you would not have been surprised if somebody mentioned it).

In Bridgend (that also had a majority of leave voters) there is a Polish community. People who have come and settled here, work hard,pay their taxes, opened and sustained  a couple of deli shops in Bridgend Town. (which for reasons I've explained in the past is no mean feat) integrated with the local community and yet now they I suspect feel venerable because of the picture painted (on a UK level) about them.

(Just to quickly go back to Wales. I've read a scenario which basically works like this. Scotland has a second referendum and goes independent. Wales sees Scotland become successful as an independent nation and becomes discontented as a right wing Conservative majority helped by an ineffective Labour opposition inflicts austerity on the nation as a result of an economic decline because of Brexit. This anger grows to such an extent that Wales votes for independence using the same arguments that Brexiters used in the referendum ("We want our country back" etc) and returns to the the EU. I can see that scenario panning out. Trouble is it will take many years and there'll be misery for the people during this period)

So then I live in a United Kingdom where the only certainty is uncertainty. A group of nations that is hardly united and a people not at ease with itself. "May you live in interesting times" is a Chinese curse. It seems that life in Britain is going to be very interesting indeed.

So what will I do? For the moment there is nothing I can do other than support Plaid Cymru as best as I can. For in Wales there is potentially through independence a way out of the darkness as in Scotland who will clearly lead the way. In England though there seems to be no obvious path especially as the Labour party seems to have picked this moment to take the knives out for Jeremy Corbyn. Labour and Conservatives in disarray. Synchronised incompetence. Trouble is the Tories are the ones in power.

The only other thing is a gesture. No more than that but here we go......I'm going to start to learn Polish. Why? Well to be honest I'm not sure. Gestures are moments of feeling and not planning. Perhaps it's a way of saying that I too believe in the free movement of people, perhaps because I believe in the European ideal, perhaps it's just to a group who deserve as a people an apology. Though I suspect that as the years go on it will be they who will feel sorry for people in the UK who believed in the EU like me.

A gesture

Will start slowly this is just as you see an ebook for beginners. I'll work on it and will try it out once I feel I've a hold, however tenuous.

What with that and resuscitating learning Welsh, having four books on the go and of course football. All this whilst being husband and dad. Multitasking is not normally my thing (I'm a man) but I will seriously try here. Somehow I feel it's important.

Until the next time.


No comments:

Post a Comment