Saturday 3 September 2016

How Drew Barrymore,Jimmy Fallon And The Boston Red Sox Stopped Us Being A Family At Bore


Hello there. Hope you're feeling well today.

It's Friday afternoon. The weather has not been good. It's been raining, it's been damp and there has been no chance of going out as a family. Boredom awaits us.Wife suggests watching a movie. Female eyes turn towards me. for if there has been a cog in the wheel of us watching a films as a family it's been dad.

Daughter is after all of an age where I don't have to lie and claim interest in something like High School Musical. After all I'm a boy (albeit an old one).

But there have been other reasons as well. After having to watch the first one I've refused to watch Harry Potter movies on the grounds that they're for kids and adults really shouldn't try and interfere in their space.

So what tends to happen is that wife/daughter watches the movie whilst I have an afternoon nap. They don't call me Mr Sociable for nothing

But this time my wife just looks at me and says "You pick the DVD". She thinks, not unreasonably,that before we consider renting online or going on Netflix we should try and finish off what's already in the house. She is a lady of radical thought.

Which is why I found myself looking at DVDs on shelves. Unsure of what to choose until my eyes came to this.....

The Perfect Catch

Known as Fever Pitch in the US but The Perfect Catch everywhere else as it was a 2005 remake of the original UK movie called Fever Pitch. Hope that's clear. I'd read the Nick Hornby book (brilliant...even if it was about Arsenal) and seen the UK movie which the best thing I could say was that it was alright.

It was however a Rom Com starring Drew Barrymore and Jimmy Fallon about a romance which sport interferes with, it focuses on the baseball team I support the Red Sox and it has a 12 certificate. All boxes seem to have been ticked.

The movie was watched and judged as an entertainment it's brilliant. I loved it (and for the record it's better than the original). The wife loved it and daughter said it was one of the best movies she'd ever seen. And who chose it? Two thumbs pointing towards this guy.

"I'm the man" "Who's The Daddy" and other cliches rolled out of my lips as I went to make cups of tea. Indeed was on such a gloat high it was amazing that my head was able to enter the kitchen. On my return though daughter deflated me with two words.

"Go Yankees".

How did she know this? Pretty Little Liars apparently. Netflix has a lot to answer for.

I won't disown her.

But still

Until the next time.



















No comments:

Post a Comment