Sunday 18 September 2016

London/Epping Part 3:Dad


Hello there. Hope you're feeling well today.

My father died twenty five years ago. This is the reason why I've come down from Wales for the weekend.Today went with my mother to pay respects at the cemetery he's buried in.

The day was grey,cold windy but thankfully dry. Suitable cemetery weather.

The journey from Epping passes through places that I've been to in the past but know vaguely such as Buckhurst Hill and Loughton but only when it reaches Barkingside that nostalgia kicks in. Many things have changed from when I knew it as a teenager but thankfully the library is not one of them. A circular literary library pleasure. Spent many happy times there as a teenager. Don't know obviously what it's like now but it was the best library I've ever been to.

We reach Barkingside cemetery. It's relatively small which I like. Not like those cities for the dead at the City of London and Cardiff sites.

I pay my respects to dad. Helping my mother with tidying up.

My father was an immigrant from Europe who came to Britain many years ago and built up a small business with his partner. He loved Britain.

Dad was a man who still envokes affection from those who know him. I remember going to a wedding last year where a relative unprompted praised him to the hilt in front of my daughter. I've told her that if I am half the dad he was to me then I'm a great father.

I know I'm not the man he was but that doesn't bother me as he was special. I do miss him.

Until the next time.



.


No comments:

Post a Comment