Thursday 20 October 2016

The Farewell From Helene Hanff


Hello there. Hope you're feeling well today.

On Tuesday I'd finished Helene Hanff's book of her Woman Hour pieces in the eighties Letter From New York about living in one of the world's iconic cities. I loved it. I consider her to be Alan Coren's and Sue Townsend's American cousin that you think of as a friend.She painted a picture of the city as if you were there with her even though I've never been to America let alone the big apple.

And the point I forgot to mention when I finished the Helene Hanff omnibus (which of course wasn't an omnibus as it didn't include this book) was that she seemed to be that rare thing a writer who was a reader like you. There was a sense that she could instantly turn off being a writer and read a book as anyone else whatever their profession would. To a reader she was relatable.

But all of this is bittersweet. Because unusually for me I've now read every book she's written that has been published in the UK. Although I reread 84 Charing Cross Road as it was part of the omnibus I won't be rereading anymore of her books (too many books too little time). So in a way to me she died on Tuesday.

So thank you Helene for making me smile and being a reader as well as a writer. Most of all thank you for being a friend even though we never met.

Until the next time.





No comments:

Post a Comment