Friday 23 December 2016

A Toilet Seat, My Hatred For Howard Webb And Other LastMinuteThingsBeforeChristmasNotDotCom


Hello there. Hope you're feeling well today.

On the list of unexpected things that happen before Christmas Day which have to be dealt with, a broken toilet seat is not one of them. Normally it's the kitchen light bulb that requires, no demands your attention. But yesterday the toilet seat broke, the strain of the rear end of life was too much for it to bear and so that was one of the list of things to do.

My main thought was to buy my mother a couple of books to finish off her Christmas presents as a stocking filler. Wife said go to Home Bargains (on the way to the DIY place) they sell books. So I did. And they do.....just children's books. So after this Toilet Seat Secret mission a quick trip to Porthcawl was needed.

First though was to collect a parcel from the Post Office depot. Tick. Get soaked in the rain doing so. Tick.

Interestingly what I learnt about toilet seats from the DIY seats is that the prices from £4.99 to £32.99 and it was those on the mid range that were empty. There were those in various colours and, for those insane amongst us, designs. Just bought a normal white one at £9.99. Tick.

Getting to the bottom of things
The "Last Minute Things Before Christmas" View

Then in the spirit of Christmas or perhaps to avoid been nagged at for not going went to the local Starbucks to buy a gingerbread latte for the wife and a hot chocolate for the daughter, she having defected from the rival Costa.

After going home, dumping the stuff I bought  and taking a quick cup of tea . Off I went to Porthcawl, and as I was going to Porthcawl I could go to the library.

Was almost going to pick the autobiography of Howard Webb the referee, now TV personality. Now I hate Howard Webb, not because he was a referee but because he's younger than me. You know when you're old when the match officials are younger than you.

But as it happens another football book caught my eye.

Andrea Pirlo - I Think Therefore I Play

No British footballer could get away with a title like that.

The other book I borrowed, spotted in passing was:

Caitlin Moran - How To Build A Girl

Amazing isn't it. Look for months for her months and two come in a short space of time. She must be the London Buses of literature.

So that was done. Tick. Books bought for my mother. Tick. No Penguin books today which seems appropriate after my last post. Also bought these.

And in the spirit of Christmas  let me stress......THEY ARE MINE

And before we leave Porthcawl. Here it is at sunset yesterday.

Remember this is the South of Wales not France

Once home worked a journey from London to Bridgend for my mother at her request which involved mainly driving along the M4 but avoiding the Severn Bridge if it's closed because of high winds on Christmas day. Did I know what I was doing? Absolutely not. She should follow any road signs at the time. Still it's my mother....and like wives and daughters they can be insistent. Tick.

Toilet seat installed. Tick. Finally wrapping of wife's/mother's presents from me/daughter. In another of the series "Things I hate about Christmas" I hate wrapping. Christmas is problematic enough without being expected to be able to put gaudy paper around oddly shaped presents. If I wanted to be an expert in folding paper I'd have taken up origami.

Still eventually......

that's a wrap.....badly.....tick
Until the next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment