Saturday 10 December 2016

Porthcawl Library: Where You Can Borrow Books Full Of Christmas Spirit And Muse On The Future Of Donald Trump and The Planet


Hello there. Hope you're feeling well today.

On Friday I went to Porthcawl library. It was probably going to be last time before the new year. Because of this I felt that the football book I was going to pick needed to be full of the spirit of the season. Piece on Earth goodwill to all men (plus the ladies of course) and all of that.

I picked this:

Joey Barton - No Nonsense
For those who don't know Joey Barton is the sort of person who looks controversy straight in the eye and headbutts it. Whatever else I'm expecting from the book, boredom is not going to be one of them.

So I approach the counter to take the book out. In front of me is an elderly lady who is chatting with the librarian behind the desk. They're already in conversation .
"You know what?" says the librarian "I reckon he's a megalomaniac".

It wasn't too long before I knew who they talking about.

"He's already annoyed the Chinese" the old lady responded "They'll probably be a nuclear war soon and" she added "there's more of them than there is of us".

Having digested the thoughts of old lady cum military strategist the librarian then came back with "I think he's going to be impeached within a year". Thus showing a surprising knowledge of the American political system.

My contribution to all of this was to wish them a happy new year.

Of course the point is that if I had heard this conversation this time last year I would have openly laughed at their faces. After what has happened in the past twelve months though who knows?

I was able to buy a couple of Penguin paperbacks as well. There was a general Christmas sale in a church nearby. There was only Penguin in the book stall which I bought for 30p.

Daniel Defoe - Moll Flanders
One of those books that you always aim to read but life interferes. More chance now I've got a copy though.

The other one, bought at the Tenovus charity shop for 50p was:

Spike Milligan - Adolf  Hitler My Part In His Downfall

I must admit to being pleased to having bought this. Have wanted to read it for quite a while.

The Penguin Book budget until Monday is now 57p.

Until the next time.







No comments:

Post a Comment