Wednesday 29 March 2017

A Moving Tale: Prologue. Bereft Of Things

Hello there. Hope you're feeling well today.

I will only be mentioning the house move in passing from time to time in this blog as to not to jinx anything. I'll chat about things more fully once we have actually moved even if just to rented accommodation.

That said the weekend has been a hectic one as we (and I include my mother in this who came down for Mother's Day weekend from Essex) had to contend with the unexpected possibility that we might actually be moving this Friday. However now it would appear that the date will be around the middle of May, which is fair enough.

However before we knew that. There was a whirlwind weekend round of packing, bubble wrapping and boxing of the cardboard kind. The only break was a Mother's day dinner and for me regular trips to the local tip.

Wife. mother and a good friend concentrated on the kitchen, utility and dining rooms. I, by myself went through the study.

The thing is. Now we are in this temporary calm I'm conscious that already there is an emptiness to the house. In some rooms boxes and plastic crates have replaced furniture. One bed is going to the tip and it will be joined by at least a chest freezer that seemed to freeze quicker than the Arctic and so needed defrosting often.

All my paper books that I haven't given to the charity shop have now been packed. Including all of my Penguin/Pelican paperbacks (which were for the record a lot more than on the page of this blog - laziness I know) are now in boxes/crates and I've no idea when I'll see them again.

Wife suggested watching a particular DVD yesterday. You can guess the rest. Especially as I packed the machine as well.

Because of what we had assumed was the urgency all my Welsh language papers are crated up. It means in reality that I won't be able to return to them for at least six weeks and possibly more. Things as simple as mugs have been reduced. Wife/mother/friend have only left me with two mugs. My Fiorentina one and an olive green one from IKEA, which is my personal favourite (I've tried to get another one but they don't do it now. The handle on the latest version is too small. Only suitable for children and the president of the United States).

Kitchen cupboards/freezer that were brimming with food are now gradually being slimmed of everything but essentials. I'd be curious as to what concoctions will be produced to ultimately clear us of what was in there.

My wife actually said goodbye to the attic when we cleared it out. I laughed at her given that she and my daughter wanted this move in the first place.

Still, rooms have become sadder, perhaps because all of a sudden they've either lost their purpose or have become just places for storage. Already it's becoming difficult to remember rooms as they once were but a week ago. Odd that.

Until the next time.






No comments:

Post a Comment