Friday 5 July 2019

Discovering John Cheever Through The Medium Of Twitter, The New Yorker And The A48 Between Cardiff and Bridgend


Hello there. Hope you're feeling well today.

As a reader discovering a writer, any writer, is not easy. Led to your own devices any reader being completely honest will tell you that they've either not been aware of, or have not read, thousands of writers simply because of the principle of so many books and so little time. So a writer, especially one now deceased, has difficulty reaching every reader and needs help.

For those not in the know (and I think I've mentioned this before in the blog) this part of  the A48 is mainly a quiet road between Cardiff and Bridgend (though there is a new housing development roughly half way near Cowbridge and roads are being built that will increase the traffic in that part). It is basically a pleasant journey through the Welsh countryside during the day and a quiet one at night. Perfect for when you do shift work like me.

I've also mentioned that for these journeys I keep my mind occupied by listening to podcasts. So it was yesterday afternoon when I made my forty minute trip to work by listening to the New Yorker magazine Fiction podcast.

Can't recall exactly how but it was Twitter that brought the New Yorker's whole slew of podcasts to my attention and I've started on them. As always I don't begin with the latest podcast but instead from the earliest available. Which turned out to be Richard Ford (author of The Sportswriter, really can't recommend it highly enough) reading The Reunion by John Cheever.

Now I've heard of John Cheever, but as mentioned above through the principle of so many books so little time have never got round to reading/or as in this case listening to him. So this was new to me.

And I was stunned.

I wish I could explain the plot to you. Really I do. But being that it was a short story anything I say really would spoil things. But it did what the short story does best. Takes us on a particular brief moment in time and explains everything you need to know without needing to waffle on further.

The story, style and characterisation were deceptively simple and simply brilliant.

And yes I am hooked. First available opportunity will go to the main library in the borough to borrow one of his works, if that's impossible to go to a bookshop in Cardiff, if that's impossible to go Kindle. I want to read more Cheever and I want it now.

It is certainly funny how a writer gets your undivided attention.

Until the next time.



No comments:

Post a Comment