Sunday 10 July 2016

In Which I Have A Headache On Friday....And Yesterday


Hello there. Hope you're feeling well today.

On Friday I start to have a headache. It wraps round my head like an ill fitting hat and there is a throbbing. As if I'm being subjected to a long bad massage. Unfortunately for me there's no one to complain to afterwards.

These headaches are not unusual for me. I get them from time to time. As a child and in my twenties they were particularly bad. They seemed to start from about midday and get worse at around six in the evening. I could just about have dinner and a cup of tea and then would throw myself to bed for a sleep until the next morning.

And a long night's sleep was the best cure. Would wake up in the morning as if nothing had happened.Nowadays things have changed. They tend to be less powerful but last longer.

It's probably a common thing. Think it is. But there was a time when I was checked by a doctor in a hospital for having a second attack of Bell's Palsy (a separate issue which I won't bore you with, at least not today anyway). He asked me whether I had regular headaches. Told him yes. When the weather is heavy. When it threatens rain but doesn't. That's when it comes.

"Ah yes he said....atmospheric migraines".

And there was a part of me that loved that. Didn't matter that might be as common as mud. I had a medical condition. Something that sounded good. Not just any old migraine but atmospheric.

The weather this week has been odd. Despite what the TV ads will tell you. No one in Britain believes in the cliche of sunshine, BBQs and cider (always cider). Everybody knows it will rain sometime. It has though been a lot windier for this time of year and most notably of all greyer. If you had woken up from a coma then you'd think it was February, March or October. You'd be demanding proof in blood that it was July.

Unfortunately for me. I had to work and dutifully went. I've said before that being unwell but not been unwell enough to call in sick is probably the worse of all worlds.

Despite the greyness of the weather many people were wearing T-shirts. Actually understand that. For if you were able to avoid the wind it was actually quite humid. The three men  who I saw wearing sunglasses were less forgivable. How can you be so posy to want to wear sunglasses on days without any sun?

Work was not easy. People asking me questions that I didn't, couldn't know the answers to and those who did know were unavailable. Could only smile wanly,speak politely and tell them that I could not help them. I think they were unconvinced until seeing the pained look on my face.

Saturday was a little different. I was not expected to come into work that day. But the manager had a text  at 11pm Friday from someone who was leaving her post saying that she would not be working her notice so the following morning I got a call in the morning asking whether I would come in for the afternoon/evening shift. Didn't want to go. Never liked it when plans for a day go awry. But I go I did. After all money is money despite the headache

Earlier in the morning my wife and I had been to the estate agent. It appears much to the delight of my wife and daughter moving to Penarth is feasible. The photos of the house are now on line and its for sale. I have, as my wife would say, "not taken any interest". And it's true. I'd prefer to stay. But as long as there are no financial issues I'm not standing in anyone's way.

Well when returning from work at 10pm my wife tells me that she's had a call from the estate agent and somebody's coming round for a viewing on Monday.

Perhaps a new type of headache has begun.

Until the next time.






No comments:

Post a Comment