Wednesday 13 July 2016

In Which Learning French Begins....


So the Kindle yesterday is opened. I've half an hour before lunch and the afternoon/evening shift at work. Teach Yourself French by Gaelle Graham begins. Even though this nation is moving towards little Englander status I refuse to follow this trend I won't go into the comforting arms of the femme fatale that is splendid isolation. I won't go à la mode. Au Contraire. Instead of going Bon Voyage to Europe I've become more Bonjour.It's a fait accompli.

I've tried to get into the mood. In the early morning I watched another episode of the political drama Spin (Les Hommes de L'Ombre). I like it. though it's really what you would expect from similar political dramas,intense looks,backstabbing,dark cars with security detail moving fast...just with added Gallic.

I drink black coffee, no café au lait for me. Carte Noire to be precise. I've seen the ads. Stylish French people do stylish things (including drinking coffee of course) in the stylish backdrop of Paris in black and white film. Of course real life is different. I'm drinking it whilst cajoling my daughter to move herself in time to catch the school bus. No style involved here, just slowly rising annoyance mixed with panic.

I've got my list of French radio stations ready. Yesterday it was France Culture. Hardly understand a word but that's not the point for the moment. For now the point is just to absorb.

So the e book is opened. In the beginning Ms Graham makes points I already understand and remember from school. A sense of  déjà vu overwhelms me but then I stop when she makes the point that there are a number of words that have transferred from French to English and gives us examples. This is the moment I start writing it on a notepad. Words I know the meaning of and how to spell. Seems like a good first step.

So far nothing has seemed avant-garde. No liguistic art déco or art nouveau here. Which is fine by me. I want rules. Carte Blanche worries me

Soon the half hour was up. Time for lunch. No apéritif or après ski. Just a sandwich and a hot drink before work. That drink of course being black coffee. Work next....well.... c'est la vie

Monday will be the next time I'll be learning French. I know I'm not deserving an encore yet but let's see what the future will bring.

And as I'm sure you've guessed now the words I've put in italics (apart from Bonjour) are the ones I've written down.

Until the next time.








No comments:

Post a Comment