Wednesday 24 May 2017

A Comfort Sandwich In An Uncomfortable Time


Hello there. Hope you're feeling well today.

Obviously I have to mention the Manchester atrocity first. For what it's worth my thoughts go to the bereaved  family and friends and to those that died....bar one. My daughter is of an age where she could have gone to an Ariana Grande concert. To target mainly young girls is not the action of men, but of cowards.

The reaction of the British government in putting soldiers on the streets of major British cities (including I presume Cardiff because of next week's Champions League final) is I would argue mistaken. They should have just been armed police instead. The use of soldiers you see will only encourage the terrorists further. Because they will perceive that they have made a difference.

At time of writing it's a Wednesday. And I have a day off work. Had planned just wandering round the streets where I live for now and just taking in the surroundings. But there was homework to be done. And when I mean homework, it's tying the loose ends re companies to ring to say we've moved house, close a few direct debits etc.

(The next day off I have is Sunday. So I hope to have that wander round Barry then).

It was 11:45am and having finished all I could do today. Fancied lunch. In fact let's be clear here. I fancied a sausage sandwich with red sauce on it. Because.....because in times like these a quiet little comfort is important.

There's a sandwich shop nearby. But before that had to go to the Premier shop first for a microwave meal. Tomorrow I'm working the afternoon/evening shift so best I got it now.

Looked at what was on offer. A beef curry, beef hotpot and beef Lasagne of the non Weight watchers stuff. Obviously a fan of beef. Still given I wasn't going to have it till eleven tomorrow evening curry and the hotpot weren't really an option. The Lasagne it was then. Saw also Marmite crisps....bought that for lunch....my drug of choice I'm afraid.

So armed with a frozen beef lasagne and a packet of Marmite crisps, as you do, I went to get the sandwich from the shop called Grizzly Catering Services.

As you entered there were Grizzly bear models and pictures by the wall. A guy, I'm assuming the manager was making some sandwiches which for a sandwich shop is reasonable enough.

Looked at the soft drink. Connoisseur that I am I took as cherry Tango. It was then I noticed the Marmite crisps. Apologised to the guy as I ordered the sandwiches.

He made the sandwich and I went home. It was all delicious.

That was the highlight of my day. You might think this is all a bit dull and you know what? You'd be right.

But after Monday perhaps there are moments when dull is the most precious thing you can hold.

Until the next time.




No comments:

Post a Comment