Saturday 14 April 2018

With The Potential For War, Let's Talk About A Dodgy Lunch And My Celtic Blood


Hello there. Hope you're feeling well today.

It's very odd to be in a nation on the brink of entering into a war with Syria. After all on the one hand you're conscious of this hovering in the background as you lead your life doing daily life things. But on the other those mundane tasks (milk is needed! Have to go to the shop tomorrow) suddenly become appreciated and important in view of the uncertainties.

So let me (for what it's worth) make my position clear. I'm against any potential war with Syria. Assad is obviously a bad man. But like Iraq and Libya there seems to be no clear plan for the consequences of war. And if those two countries should have taught us anything, it's that my enemy's enemy is not necessarily my friend.

As for the Prime minister Theresa May she grows pathetic with every second. So desparate for a trade deal with the United States post Brexit she is using military forces to help pander the whims of a property developer with delusions of grandeur.

It was in this atomosphere that wife, daughter and myself went into a place part of a chain of restaurants this Friday lunchtime. I won't go into exact detail (other than it was in the Vale of Glamorgan) because I don't want to get people sacked. But when we entered at two o'clock we were told to wait whilst the waitress checked if there were any reservations.....even though there were plenty of empty tables.

When on eventually getting to the table we ordered our starter. Our starter you understand which took...pause for dramatic effect ...thirty five minutes later.

And there was more. We asked for extra red sauce during the main meal. A promise to return was only kept when we'd finished. As for a refill of the cola. We lost patience waiting and got it ourselves.

How did we complain? Well of course in the way that most people in these islands would deal with this situation. We did not tip. Except mentally transmitting a psychic thought that being quick and correct would help in the future.

Whilst we were waiting, and I'm not sure how the subject was brought up, we discussed family trees. Daughter having taken an interest in the subject and having been on these online websites.

It was interesting. For it turned out that whilst I'm English by birth I'm the only one of us three who (judging on what I know so far) doesn't have any English blood in them. Whilst I'm not a believer that nationality should be judged on "blood" it nonetheless showed up some interesting facts. Like my wife, unquestionably Welsh, has some English blood from some ancestor on her father's side centuries ago. And as for me. Judged by blood I'm mainly Italian...except for the portion coming from my great grandmother...who was Scottish (indeed Glaswegian).

So perhaps this explains why I'm a Plaid Cymru member and a supporter for Welsh and Scottish independence.

It's in the blood.

Until the next time





No comments:

Post a Comment