Sunday 23 June 2019

Clothes and The Old Man


Hello there. Hope you're feeling well today.

Rather like my post on gardening. I'm beginning to realise that there are certain subjects I have to go back to as I'm soon to move house. Today's subject, as beginning to be nagged about by wife....daughter...mother... is my wardrobe.

My wardrobe is fine by me. It's the most conservative thing in my DNA. I've always dressed like an old man. And now I am an old man I'm perfectly comfortable with it thankyou very much. What I'm not comfortable with is the wideness of my belly meaning that I'm probably going to have to, whether dieting or not contemplate buying new stuff.

And yet the women in my life want me to dress younger. They site brother in law. He dresses younger they say. And he doesn't look odd....and he's older than me.

So I'm facing a battle to dress like the old man I actually am.

As women argue (rightly) that they should wear clothes that they're comfortable with then my view is that no matter how dull and dreary it seems as long as I don't look like I've been dragged through a compost heap backwards then I should wear what's comfortable for me.

I mourn the loss of my jacket over jeans look. Yes the one made notorious by Jeremy Clarkson. I wore that before it was consigned to villain status. And yes I'm going to wear it again. Thing is it needs a jacket that doesn't look stupid. It has to have that "you can't be sure it was part of a suit look". It must also be dark (that includes grey or dark blue). This is Wales. And rather like yellow cars there are few days where la light jacket doesn't look as if you've come out of the asylum.

 Jeans? Dark. Socks? Dark. Shoes/Trainers? Dark.

Why mainly dark barring the occasional white shirt for weddings, funerals, baptisms and bar mitzvahs? Well for two reasons. Firstly you don't look like a clown and secondly as I learnt whilst looking after my mother last year in Essex exile it makes washing them in the machine easier. No need for that is it white, coloured or dark conundrum.

It all means I'm happy in being dull. Now that my age in clothes have caught up with my actual age it's a battle that the women in my life will (for once) lose.

Until the next time.










No comments:

Post a Comment