Monday 3 June 2019

On Driving Past A Crime Scene


Hello there. Hope you're feeling well today.

Today I had to go into Barry Town. Why is unimportant as what happened didn't occur in the town itself but in a nearby road towards it.

There is, I learn now, a surgery towards the town. Never noticed it before. Never needed to. However this time it drew it's attention to itself given that there was a police car, a "CSI type van" and two officers outside. As well as ( and this needs to be mentioned) a blue and white police DO NOT CROSS tape wrapped around the surgery's boundaries.

Did I rubber-neck? Of course I did. Rubber necking is an instinctive reaction to something unusual from the norm. Something different.

When I came back the scene was still there. And yes I looked again.

The surgery I noticed was connected to a pharmacy (which I don't like - they really should be separate) and it wasn't clear therefore whether the crime (I'm assuming) committed was burglary or something more gruesome. I did look online but nothing was mentioned on the local news at time of writing.

If I have to guess I would say that it was a burglary even though it's on a pretty busy street. If only because on the times I saw it there was no ambulance and also that the two police officers were smiling second time around. But of course I don't know.

So why have chatted about it? Beyond the fact that thankfully it's not something I've experienced in my day to day life.

Because I suspect as Britain lurches from crisis to crisis it will not become the exception but the norm. It's symbolic of how things will become. Which is a frightening thought. But Britain of 2016 is different to the Britain of now.

Until the next time.


No comments:

Post a Comment