Sunday 25 August 2019

I Am Not Mr Summer So Am Happy September Is Approaching


Hello there. Hope you're feeling well today.

Regular readers will know that I'm not Mr Christmas and will probably have had a suspicion of this from previous things I've written about in the past. But let me make it clear. I'm not Mr Summer either.

One of the reasons I'm writing about this now is of course Brexit. I get the feeling that there has been some sort of plan to put Brexit on the back burner for a short while. "Enjoy the summer" the propaganda would say. "Don't worry about Brexit"  "Relax". We're doing the work whilst you don't have to. It's that sort of thing that makes me hate summer even more this year. The feeling of disaster whilst few are truly noticing.

It's as if we are being lulled into a European (oh the irony) Siesta.

This summer for the most part has not been of the blisteringly hot weather that I truly can't stand. The sort of heat (which happened last year) where your brain wants to do things but your body doesn't have the energy towards. If I'd believed in God I'd say that was a blessing.

Similarly my dislike (tidying up aside) of gardening has not been hidden from this blog either. Are you say. Summer means you can relax whilst watching the fruits of your efforts bloom. Thing is. What are you watching? Grass and flowers. Hardly a movable feast for the eyes.

Nor am I a beach person. Or indeed a picnic person. And let's go on about picnics for a while. I'm a man. So the idea of being able to eat food whilst swatting away insects that try to hover over the offerings on the picnic sheet seems to require a degree of multi-tasking beyond my intelligence.

It was actually worse when my daughter was very young, because summer holidays especially meant having to keep her occupied for six whole weeks . Even as a child I knew that the summer holidays were exciting to begin with, became deadly dull (these were the days before the internet and where there were only three television channels) only for you to frantically make it exciting again as you realised that the return of school was about a week away.

So as hard reality of Brexit approaches I've noticed articles talking about "Staycations" and "Charity clothes shopping" as if it's a good thing. Quietly we are being lulled into a very cold place indeed.

Personally I'm happy September is approaching. Happy that things will start moving again and that summer is going. For both personally and as a Disunited Kingdom, reality is rarely a siesta.

Until the next time.









No comments:

Post a Comment