Tuesday 3 May 2016

In Which Nothing Much Happens...It's A Bank Holiday After All

Hello there. Hope you're feeling well today.

I woke up at 6:42am in the morning. There was no morning shift for me, indeed it wasn't a day for working at all and there it was. A bank holiday morning and I'm awake early.

Must be honest. There are advantages to waking up early. The biggest being that you can attack all your programmes loading up the DVR. Being a "Welsh" day it meant all those from the native language channel S4C.

As it was a bank holiday I'd dreaded any trips out that the wife was going to plan. Mainly as a Bank Holiday trip normally involves shopping in Cardiff either for her/daughter's clothes. A process which for me is hell on Earth which only resolved by taking a book with me, The other option is IKEA who I have mixed views of. On the one hand that there is the Scandinavian minimalist look, which I like but am never to obtain. Or a sort of weird,wacky look which makes you wonder whether the designer was on drugs.

As it happened neither was going to occur. Nor indeed was my plan for today which was to cut the grass as when I looked out of the window dark clouds hovered which soon turned to rain.

Incidentally one of the five books I've been reading has now finished. That was the biography of Alex Salmond by David Torrence. It was surprisingly entertaining and I enjoyed it. Most of all of course, it told you a lot about a public man that you didn't realise.

For lunch my wife cooked bacon,eggs,sausages, toast and beans. Cholesterol heavy but I loved it. Nothing I would argue with such an old fashioned meal on an occasional basis. It also reminded of the food my grandparents cooked in the seventies when they had a cafe in Whitechapel. I'm a man in my fifties more often nostalgia rules.

The greatest use of my labour today was destroying an old laptop before it was to be destined to be put on the tip. If only because of a fear that if it wasn't ripped up it be picked up and hacked. Yes I've seen The Net and so you can blame my paranoia on Sandra Bullock.

Eventually we as a family just rumbled in front of the television. Daughter made us watch an odd film called Holes starring Signorney Weaver and John Voight presumably because the producers were able to blackmail them into performing. The only surprise was that Eartha Kitt was in it. That took me back.

Later on there were loads of Disney Channel shows that wife/daughter like but made me listen to the football on BBC Radio 5 Live (Incidentally congratulations to Leicester City...dreams can come true). Though there is one thing you need to note about these sitcoms, which is they will always be one cast member with a really odd name.

There was eventually a bright blue sky and the sun was out but of course it was too late to appreciate it. As is life.

Until the next time...


No comments:

Post a Comment