Sunday 15 May 2016

Zen And The Art Of Mowing...That's Right The Garden's Done At Last

Hello there. Hope you're feeling well today.

As you may recall the grass around my house has not been cut for about one and a half months. Due to a combination ill health, the weather and work. So yesterday morning the back garden looked like this.

It was a jungle out there (suburban style)

Indeed in the last few days a new factor occurred when my daughter spent two days off school because she ate something that didn't agree with her and promptly vomited it up in the toilets. Of course she proceeded to do what any modern day child would do in the circumstances. She took a photo of it on her phone. I'll spare you the details. Suffice it to say that she had tuna for lunch. Thankfully everything's now.

But on Friday before she went out to work the wife suggested, in that sort of subtle "there's no excuse now" way wives do, that I should the grass in the morning.She had seen the other houses around us and felt embarrassed. In my mind the first thing I could think of was the childish "do I have to"? given that I was working the afternoon/evening shift that day.But the weather was good and if rushed there was time.

Must admit that despite some halfhearted attempts to the contrary I'm not really all that interested in gardening. I find it well.....,dull. The one exception re gardening (or more accurately garden maintenance) was cutting the grass. To me it's soothing to move the mower one way, turn,move it the next row,put the grass in the black bag and so on. Indeed now I'm close to getting the process how I used to like it.

Now you note the past tense was used here. There is a reason for it. Some years back my daughter's uncle gave her an all metal slide for her birthday (thank you uncle). Even worse friends decided to buy her a trampoline. It was a big massive thing. Taking up about a quarter of the space in the back garden. It made mowing no longer a quiet little pleasure, more of an obstacle course.

The trampoline went last year. The outside mesh started to fray,it was getting rusty, but when the net itself started to get holes well that was it. Dismantling the monster took about half a day. It felt like killing a Martian from War Of The Worlds.

My "garden project" for this year is the dismantling of the slide. It's too young for her now and besides.it doesn't have wi-fi.

It was a warm day (though later the sky went dark and started to rain around six pm - not forecast) and in two hours the job was done. There were compromises mind. If there was clumps of grass because the mower couldn't take all of it on the first go, well it stayed there. The edges now look like an identity parade of South Walian weeds. Most disturbingly though for my wife there were black bags of the waste left in the garden as I didn't have time to go to the tip. She has a fear that mice would untie the knot and would climb in. They were dealt with the day after.

And so it was done. It would win no awards. No mowing association of Great Britain would even give it a pass mark, But given what it had looked like it's tolerable and that's good enough for me.

Until the next time.




No comments:

Post a Comment