Monday 9 May 2016

Why Working On A Warm Sunny Sunday Was Less Awkward Than Being A West Ham Fan Near Swansea

Hello there. Hope you're feeling well today.

Personally I've never had any moral issues about working on a Sunday. My belief in deities of any kind having dissolved years ago and in terms of family my daughter is of an age that her priority (aka demands of me and my wife) is for her to do her homework. So for the most part she's not really missing any father/child time.

Today (Sunday) has been the first warm, as opposed to sunny day of the year. But I wasn't bothered by this. For although my blood is mainly Italian there are certain things that my Tuscan relatives would be looking at me and wondering whether I was truly from the Mediterranean stream. My preference for tea over coffee, my dislike of olives and my uncomfortableness with hot weather.

They probably first noticed when we went to Italy when I was around eleven. There was a trip to the seaside resort of Viareggo. But rather than play in the sand or the sea I was just under an umbrella and reading a book. (Can't tell you the title of the book but it was a Harry Patterson/JackHiggins thriller. Remember I'd enjoyed it at the time but I've forgotten the plot now. His books have that effect on me. The McDonald's of thriller writing). Also to be fair I was slightly too young to be effected by ladies in bikinis.

Today was not a blisteringly hot day. It was warm with light fresh wind to cool things down. Yet a lot of the people I saw at work today today were dressed as if they were living near Miami than Maesteg. Sleeveless basketball style shirts, shorts, sandals and sunglasses could all be seen. The one I don't really understand are sunglasses.I've lived in Wales since the late nineties and although contrary to its image there have been many blisteringly hot days, the weather has never been so dazzlingly bright that I've had the urge to raid the drawers in my bedside cabinet for the shaded specs.

It's not that I'm laughing at the Welsh you understand. It's that warm weather highlights how close to the Italian temperament they are because (generally speaking of course) it shows them comfortable with their skin. Something I wish I had the ability to have, despite my Italian blood.

So working today shouldn't have been a problem. If it wasn't for yesterday. West Ham, my team, played Swansea City.

And they lost.

Not only did they lose but by 4-1. Swansea City have had a season which other than avoiding relegation has been extremely disappointing. The nadir of which was the sacking of team stalwart Garry Monk as manager. Something of which was for me Shakespearean in action and  had the effect that of losing its innocence as a team.

Prior to the match even Swans supporters were telling me that they expected the Hammers to win.

So of course they decided to produce their best performance this season against the team I follow. Needless to say, being the closest West Ham fan most people round me know I was the target of good natured ribbing. Loud at that. Of course I had to grin and bare it. Those who weren't happy at the result had a go at me as well, given they were mainly from the arch rival Cardiff City.

Not much I could do or say really,especially as I've been bathed in reflective glory all season given West Ham's generally good year.

Ah well...such is life....and football.

Until the next time.








No comments:

Post a Comment