Saturday 28 May 2016

In Which Waking Up Early Involves The EU Referendum,Baseball,Tea,Nodding Off, Taking A Late Bath And Round The Horne

Hello there. Hope you're feeling well today.

Despite the fact that I was working the afternoon/evening shift yesterday (Thursday). Despite returning home just after 10pm and not going to sleep until sometime after midnight, Despite not working today and so having no need of an alarm. Despite all of that I woke up at 3:30am.

I knew it was too early without needing to look at the clock. For although the days are longer the sky was still dark. It was no matter though. I was wide awake.

This insomnia has often happened to me. Suddenly for no apparent reason waking up and unable to go back to sleep again. I've been asked whether it's due to any worries. I know that's not the case. Whether feeling carefree or have been racked with burdens has made no difference.It's no matter though, since the introduction of the VHS recorder through to the present day DVR my routine remains unchanged. Make myself a cup of tea and look at some recordings I've done off the TV.

What to watch? That was easy. The wife had recorded an EU referendum debate for me shown yesterday but I wasn't going to watch that. Knew from day one that I'd vote to remain and that for me is that. At time of writing the result is too close to call, although the economic argument would appear to have been won by the Remain camp the Leave people seem to be focusing now on migration. Tapping up a fear that the United Kingdom will if it stays in the EU become a greater Bulgaria,Poland,Romania or of course Arabia. The thing is that even if the reality is a lot different all they'd need is the perception that that is the case and they have a powerful weapon in their hands. And they know this.

Of course that doesn't mean to say that the members of the Leave campaign are uncultured. Nigel Farage's favourite book for example is Dracula by Bram Stoker as it's about an illegal Romanian immigrant who creates havoc in Britain (not actually true to my knowledge. but I couldn't resist the joke).

Instead I looked at the list of baseball games to watch. Thirty seven. Obviously that would be my early morning viewing. The oldest was an April 15th clash between the Atlanta Braves at the Florida Marlins.

I've always liked baseball. Think it's because it can mix the spectacular of the Home Run and whether a player has reached a plate in time to the thoughtful like what can the pitcher throw to foil the batsman. The other thing about Baseball,and indeed American football, is that it shows up the notion that Americans are an impatient race. The programme I was watching (admittedly with highlights) was three hours long...and they were the highlights.

The Braves were a team described in the programme as "in transition". Which is normally TV code for "at the moment they're rubbish" (in the same they would describe a Sarah Palin speech as "stream of consciousness when they mean that she's talking gibberish). In the early stages of the game rubbish would appear to a very polite way of describing what you saw. The Marlins were three nil up and seemingly on the verge of making Braves lily livered.

However in the 7th inning something remarkable happened. After the Braves scored one home run the Marlins decided to change the pitcher. An action which seemed to have changed things for the worst. None of the replacement pitchers were as good as the original guy and the Braves began to score point after point ending the day 8-3 winners. The Marlins were booed by their supporters, something the Fox Sports commentators in this highlight programme failed to mention.

After that daughter was woken up and despite the normal teenage moaning got herself ready for school in a state best described as Thank God It's Friday.

I was alone then. Approaching eight in the morning with a third cup of tea in my hand and watching how France was in a state of crisis because of a strike at oil depots. I like a cup of tea. Thirst quenching,warm relaxing....too relaxing. Because I nodded off and only woke up again, when live TV was in Daytime rubbish mode. It was 9:30am.

It was time for a bath. In the longstanding world debate between baths and showers if you have the time then there is no contest. I am firmly in the bath camp. There are few things more relaxing and for me it comes into the list of life's quiet little pleasures. I listen to a radio programme I've downloaded on the tablet. Today it was Round The Horne the comedy show brimful of double entendres a la mode of the best of the Carry On movies. Saucy without being crude.

And then,then I did the cleaning I'd promised my wife (who was at work) I'd do. I did, but quickly. On return she knew this immediately. Really she is a loss to the intelligence service.

Ah well.

Until the next time.





No comments:

Post a Comment