Monday 17 July 2017

Apparently McDonalds Is Now The New Beacon For Lost Old Ladies


Hello there. Hope you're feeling well today.

It was all supposed to be so simple. My mother, coming down for her birthday from Essex (daughter still being at school) would, not knowing how to get to our new abode, go to Cardiff West services on Junction 33 of the M4. There she'd give me a ring, I'd go and drive there whereupon she'd follow me on the way to the apartment.

However at 8:30am the phone rings. I knew instantly something was wrong. It was my mother. There had been roadworks at junction 25 where all of a sudden she found herself forced to leave the motorway.

But where exactly was she? Lime Road Newport she was told. In a car park between a pub and a McDonalds. Frightened and alone she asked me to come and pick her up. Not having a Satnav or knowing the area that well of course I said yes.

Quick check on the internet revealed that the M4 closure was caused by work on the Bryn Glas tunnel in Newport. Now perhaps me or my mother should have checked on this, even so, what is the logic of roadworks on a Sunday in summer? If the weather was fine then my mother would not be the only person caught up in all of this.

There was another problem. I put Lime Road....then Lyme Road onto route planners. Nothing. Why was this? There was only one thing to it. Take the same turnoff as my mother and look for a Mcdonalds.

Still out of the apartment first thing I did was to get some petrol. Now a quick aside here. What is it about marketing types and the naming  of petrol?Went to Texaco where their fuel is called Premium and Supreme. This begs the question Premium to what? It surely can't be Supreme because if you're Supreme then you're all powerful.

BP is the same. They call their top oil Ultimate. Which suggests it will never be bettered. We all know though that it will be. So what will they call the new stuff "Ultimate Plus"? Don't think this has been thought through.

Anyway off I went. It was a journey of about half an hour and when I reached the junction I followed the signs for a diversion.....and went the wrong way to Pontypool. Turning back went back to the turnoff and going west instead. Took the first turning. There there was a Sainsburys and a sign with a big curly M on it. I was close.

But the road is a mix of residential and industrial estate. No sign of the big M and it's produce anywhere.

Lost in Newport

More Newport Lost Action
The road became a dead end. It was then I saw a road sign. Mcdonalds it said was open. But Lyne Road was closed, My first reaction was "Ahh Lyne Road" My second reaction was "closed?" Still I was clearly within spitting distance. But where to spit was another matter.

Decided to go back where I came and take the next turning along. It's there saw the big M and my mother waiting patiently.

She is grateful. I start to describe myself as the geriatic rescuer as I did for the rest of the day. We drive home.

Newport seems like an interesting place for a visit. Part new part old. Part Shabby part shiny. This contrast in a space closer than I've seen before in Wales. Worth a look for the future but not today.

So thankyou Mcdonalds.The new beacon for lost old ladies.

Doesn't mean I'll eat there more mind.

Until the next time.





No comments:

Post a Comment