Wednesday 5 July 2017

On Reading In The Early Morning, When You Know You've Won The Argument Over Your Wife And The Old Man And The Sully Sea


Hello there. Hope you're feeling well today.

Well I woke up at three thirty am in the morning. If this was tomorrow I'd be screaming blue murder at how late I was given I'm working the early morning shift for the next four days. Today however I just can't sleep once my eyes emerged from its slumber. Just have to get out of bed.

Now if I was still living in Bridgend I'd have turned the television on and watched some sport. That pleasure is however a thing of the past. In fact looking at the TV guide I'm set to record in the next week a couple of the recent Planet of the Apes films, a bit of Boxing and reruns of Castle and Columbo....and basically that's it. Nothing to watch now.

Outside dawn is slowly beginning to break. It's quiet. The world is asleep and you're having insomnia. The day appears to be bright.....unlike my mood

So I turn on the Kindle and finish off the collection of short stories The Safe Man by Michael Connelly and to be truthful nothing has changed from the position I chatted about on Saturday. This was a book best summarised by the phrase "Is that all there is"? I'd expected a lot more. No question the leader for the title of the most disappointing book of 2017.

I've decided not to buy anymore ebooks for a while and just go through the ones (in their hundreds and mainly free) already on my Kindle. Now that soon the library will be back on stream and I'll be reading two books on the go there's no need to purchase anymore for the moment.

Just starting then on an alphabetical basis the next book is Hannibal Makers of History by Jacob Abbott, which as far as I can tell was written in the nineteenth century. We'll see how I do.

I know it's hard to belive but from time to time me and the wife argue (yes shocking). But occasionally I'm reminded of the tell tale signs when I've won an argument. Yesterday the wife was looking at available houses in the Penarth area when she started speaking about a house she and our daughter had already visited when I was at work last week.

She encouraged me to go and look at the house online. Did just that. But as I went through this three bedroomed at the edge of our budget a large problem with the house was making itself clear...or rather the large field next to it.

For fields can include all manner of wildlife, including, as I said to her, members of the rodent family. My wife has a phobia of mice to the same extent that I have of dogs. Doesn't matter if we'd exchanged contracts and had moved in one sight of a mouse and she's packing off to her brother before you can say semi detached. So I go on. I'm not going look at a house that I know we're not going to buy.

And there was silence.

It was the silence of someone who couldn't think of anything to counter what I'd just said. I won't say it was silence was golden but it unspoke volumes about who was right.

For the first time today was able to walk to the sea around the village of Sully I mentioned yesterday. There was no beach where I was. Just rocks. Still it's an impressive view (though must admit my preference are the Valleys).

Remember not the South of France but South Wales
Must remind myself to take a picture when the weather is wet and windy and cliché Celtic. Perhaps then from those rocks Celtic gods will come to me and say that I must undertake my true purpose in making Wales a free and independent land again.

But for today after I took the picture went to do some shopping at Lidls...majestically of course.

Until the next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment