Thursday 13 July 2017

How Welsh Independence Could Ease Inflation And the Consequences Of Brexit


Hello there. Hope you're feeling well today.

I know I no longer live in Bridgend, though it appears constantly in this blog as if I'm trying to relive the old hits and indeed next week I might have to spend a long time doing nothing there (which I'll explain should it happen at the time).

However though working near to the town I've genuinely tried to wean myself off chatting about it. One thing I haven't done, that is until yesterday, is to go near to the house we used to live in. That is the personal past and though occasionally I go against my own rule, for the most part do not believe in looking back. Do not see the point.

Yesterday however I had to go to a shop in a small shopping area nearby as I promised my wife I would given that was working the afternoon evening shift. Did what I had to do and then felt the need for a drink. So wandered into the local Tesco Express.

A quick aside here. Tesco Express is only express depending on the time you enter. It's the only place where, should you be unlucky, it's express to shop but slow lane to queue

I'd regularly visited the place when living nearby, it was let's face it a store of convenience for the singular item...mainly milk. Now however it was odd wandering in. Felt like a stranger in a strange land. Everything seemed familiar, people, layout, offers for things I rarely wanted but it was just unreal.

Shaking that all off went to get something to drink and well was shocked. Knew that inflation was on the rise, but as I looked everything that my eyes could gaze on seemed to have risen. Noticed that San Pellegrino mineral water was up, should I have some crisps with it? Well they were up as well. No I thought. Just go for what your tastebuds wanted. A small bottle of Tropicana orange juice. Last time I'd bought one of these they cost £1.

Now they cost £1.19.....£1.19!

And of course whilst invidually there may have been reasons for specific increases we all know that the main reason has been Brexit and the fallout from it. People who were misled into thinking that walking from the EU meant a bright new world of a better NHS and wonderful trade deals are now seeing that life alone is just lonely and expensive.

This current Conservative coalition with the DUP, a party that seems to have as its mantra the philosophies of a witchfinder general have started negotiations under the delusion that Britain still has an empire to back it up. It appears that rather than negotiate and accept the inevitable compromises that it would bring the government would rather bang their heads on a brick wall of hard Brexit saying that it would be "better for Britain".

People may have voted to leave the EU. But people were voting on the destination. At no stage has there, or apparently will there, be a vote on the route to get there. Life in Britain is actually tough enough already for a lot of its population. A hard Brexit will push it on a course which, for the social wellbeing of the country if nothing else, may lead to uncharted dangers. I've recently chatted on the dangers for the Ford factory in Bridgend that Brexit might cause. A hard Brexit may spread that across the United Kingdom, causing it to be even more fractured and disunited as it is now.

Hence for Wales as well as Scotland independence suddenly becomes an economic and social issue as well as a political one. For a minority Conservative government that has to be propped up to survive to force through tactics that are unpopular will cause resentment. Perhaps, the people of the Celtic regions should be independent and negotiate their own deals. Perhaps the people who care about falling off a cliff rather than those from a privileged distance away who would rather they jumped free fall from it as long as they felt morally pure should be in charge.

If Wales was independent and negotiated from its perspective alone. Then compromises will be made, but it will also be the case that the looming disaster will be avoided as well. That will ease inflation as well social unrest that is bound to happen should hard Brexit occur.

Welsh independence may need to come quicker than we think.......the clock is ticking.

Until the next time.



No comments:

Post a Comment