Wednesday 12 July 2017

Disappointment At The Library, Dilemma At The Supermarket


Hello there. Hope you're feeling well today.

You may remember that last week I attempted to join the local library in Sully, the closest where we live at the moment in the Vale of Glamorgan. However because of the installation of "new systems" I couldn't borrow any books from the literary prefab but was assured that today, Tuesday, it would be ready.

The Prefab Library Sprout

So I walk in, ready for some hot book borrowing action, ready to have get some books. I give my name, say was promised a library card, prepare to receive it and off I go.

But....

The three lady librarians look at me amazed that someone who last week applied for a library card wishes to actually use the miniature services it has to offer.

A woman with long blonde hair who I assume to be the lead librarian tells me that they have just finished installing their systems.....but there is a backlog of applications to be put through.

I mention that there was a promise that this would be done in a week. Didn't show my anger, I'm a reader rarely a fighter. Don't think that I hid my frustration well mind.

Nothing could be done though. Saturday is it appears the next possible day that the card will arrive. They've promised to ring me when it does come. We shall see.

And you know what, much as I'm grateful to my Kindle I miss a paper book and going to  library these are the sort of things that won't be truly appreciated until they're gone. Yet I can't go back to appreciating these things because of something, Vale of Glamorgan council, that isn't my fault.

Angry,frustrated, disappointed and most of all bookless I travel to the nearby LIDLs ( aka along with Aldis the supermarkets people will go to after Brexit as everything else will be too expensive) to do a quick shop. Not a lot. Just a basketload of mainly things I forgot to get yesterday.

So I'm at the checkout. The stuff is on the conveyor belt and so I'm about to put my basket in the pile of empty baskets at the end of checkout before I can indulge in the game of filling up the carrier bag before the cashier has given you the cost or will he/she and the queue behind mentally tut at your tardiness. However empty baskets are not the only thing there. For in the previous basket there's a packet of ham and some white fillet of fish.

What to do? Put it back myself?  Tell the staff thus creating more delayed time and increased tuttiness from those behind me? Inform them about food probably made inedible by the lazy so and so before me.

No I was terribly,terribly British and said nothing. Just created a new pile for the baskets and let the sanctity of the queue continued unabated.

Civilisation is not destroyed yet.

Until the next time.










No comments:

Post a Comment