Monday 9 January 2017

In Which D H Lawrence Is Used As A Sleeping Pill,Bridgend Town News And The Return Of Alan Coren


Hello there. Hope you're feeling well today.

I woke up around two o'clock on Sunday morning and went down to watch some Welsh language TV programmes I'd recorded. Today (Monday) morning I found myself awake at one twenty five am.

But I had a plan.

The Kindle was fired up. The plan was simple. Despite what I'd said in my previous post I was to read one chapter of the current book, then would try and go back to sleep.

Well I read the chapter, got back to my pillow.....and slept like a baby.

Which only goes to show that under experimental conditions D H Lawrence is as good an alternative as a sleeping pill.

Eventually today I'd finished that book. Twilight In Italy. An account of his time there. It was a book solely remarkable in that D H Lawrence was able to perform the amazing feat of making Italy and Italians dull. It was gibberish boxed in boredom wrapped in pretension.

Lawrence could not resist the cliché of the simple, primitive Italians being observed by him, the sophisticated inglese. Having Italian blood in me would have riled me to have accused him of racism....if I hadn't been bored into submission in the meantime.

The next book on the great e unread is The Man Who Knew Too Much By G K Chesterton. I've never read a Chesterton book before so am looking forward to it.

Had to go to Bridgend Town today. Another shop in the town, a ladies clothing shop is closing down.

Another sad closure

Now a shop has opened in the town. One that sells pre owned tablets, DVDs and the such like. I don't think this means the revival of the town though. Far from it. Indeed although there are out of town stores it's telling that there are four shops where you could get pre owned stores in Bridgend but only one that would sell new television sets without an instalment payment plan attached to it. Says everything you need to know about the town really.

Final piece of Christmas news. The body that is the Christmas tree has been boxed up and is back in the attic.

A masterpiece of wrapping

Wife was unimpressed. Said that her friend W could fit her tree back in the box completely shut "and it was bigger". My response? " Give W an award then".

Snow is apparently forecast for the later this week (cannot tell you how much I want it to avoid us). In the meantime though as I waiting for daughter to get out of school I realised it was getting lighter. Which meant I could return to the "car book" Toujours Cricklewood by Alan Coren. Already I feel myself smiling as I'm reading it.

Alan Coren would never make me sleepy.

Until the next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment