Thursday 12 January 2017

Snow And Teacher Patrol


Hello there. Hope you're feeling well today.

At this moment I'm doing something I rarely do which is to regularly look outside the window in case snow falls from the bland grey sky. The weather forecasters have been putting forward the possibility of this for a few days now around where I live.

We are prepared. Milk tick. Bread tick. De icer tick.

Last night the BBC Wales weatherman was clear. There would be a possibility of snow in the morning, a possibility of snow in the evening and the possibility of ice on Friday morning. Don't you love it when they're clear?

Mind you there is perhaps a reason for his caution. This was the man who many years ago assured the nation that there would be no snow the next day.....and I think you can guess what happened next.

As a sort of sequel to the "Things I Hate About Christmas" theme I've chatted about in earlier posts, as I've grown older I've hated snow and ice. Picturesque it may be, but it's also dangerous. Me I just want the snow that hits the ground and immediately dissolves thank you very much.

And the thing about snow is this. To those of us unused to it the white stuff is quiet and insidious. One moment nothing, the next the area is blanched as if preparing for a Ku Klux Klan parade.

The forecast heavy rain has occurred. But the journey taking my daughter to school was nonetheless not as bad as I'd expected. And as I was viewing the mountains on the way to Maesteg there was no iced sprinkling. So here's hoping it stays that way...much to the disappointment of my child.

Later wife and I will be going (weather permitting) to a parents teacher evening. I won't chat about my daughter's schoolwork, that's personal to her, but I will make two predictions. One, there will be a teacher that I won't like. A few years back my daughter had average or above average marks in every subject bar one. And when we asked the teacher of this particular subject why this was the case his answer was: "Well I'm a bit tougher than the others".

"Really?" I thought . " Perhaps if you're different to the rest you've misjudged the situation?". Of course I bit my lip. You do. He's a teacher.

On the other hand there will be a teacher that your child hates, moans about with every not on the internet opportunity she has for being tough, that will praise your offspring without any criticism at all. As parents you are just numb to an almost monk like degree with surprise though obviously pleased. You come out singing that teacher's opinion to your bemused offspring who is just as confused. That has also happened to us.

I assume that's the Alex Ferguson style of management

Until the next time.





No comments:

Post a Comment