Friday 6 January 2017

Passing The Time Caused By Insomnia WithTea, Polish Biscuits And Australian Football


Hello there. Hope you're feeling well today.

Well I went to bed at a reasonable time (eleven). But they came a moment when all of sudden my eyes shot up. My thumbs were twiddled. I was bored....and awake.

Dark outside. Wife asleep. What to do?

You might think I would have fired up the Kindle to continue reading Twilight In Italy by D H Lawrence. Certainly as a literary sleeping pill it might have worked. But despite the fact that I can read a book in almost any place the one exception to that is in bed. For some reason my back feels stiff and I'm not comfortable. It's not an option.

So yet again it's time to look downstairs and watch a programme from the great unwatched on the DVR. It's only when I'm downstairs that I suddenly realise what the time is .......12:50am.

Amazingly I have a plan for being awake so early. Whilst I can't sleep watch a football match I've recorded. Just the match. No pre,half ,or post time stuff. Just the match. Then go back to sleep.

First though priorities: A cup of tea and some Polish wafer biscuits (chocolate flavour). I'm running out of the biscuits. Need to get some soon.

Hot Tea (And Biscuit) Action

Taking it I notice that the next match to watch is from the Australian (plus One New Zealand team) Hyundai A League dated December 10th. As I've explained before can watch sport (especially football) months after the event as long as I don't know the result, so if the league is across the world that will be even more .

The game was the Western Sydney Wanderers (after all like Bolton and Wolverhampton where else is there to wander) and the modestly named Melbourne Victory.

(A quick digression here: The team I follow in this league is Adelaide United. Champions last season,,not doing so well this.And the reason? Because they are one of the few teams with a proper football name. Most have the sort of quasi ra ra American sports team name which doesn't work because it's well, not North American.. Brisbane Roar? Perth Glory? Really?

That said, the oddest name was that of Melbourne City before the oil powered Manchester City machine took it over. They were called Melbourne Heart. Probably the most metrosexual name for a football team in the history of man, or should I say Person, kind.

I assume the finances of the Melbourne Victory are built from the foundations laid by their shirt sponsor, Builders Academy.....I'll get my coat)

But back to the match the Wanderers started well. There was a shot that it the post, travelled the goal line but impolitely decided not to cross it. It seemed like a close game until near the end of the first half when Barisha, the Victory's star player pounced from a parry by the Wanderers goalkeeper, Andrew Redmayne of a shot from  another Victory player. He was condemned by the Fox Sports commentator for this goal. Personally though had a Wanderers player been first there to collect the ball it would have been fine. Such are the football percentages. Anyway that's how the first half ended. One nil Victory.

No time for half time analysis. Fast forward. Mind you the Hyundai A League did answer the question few people in Britain were asking. Whatever happened to Mark Bosnich? Well he's a TV pundit, just not for me today.

The second half was just one sided and for most of it one manned as Barisha scored two further goals. The second of which reminded me of Winston Reid's second goal for West Ham against Swansea where one man out jumped two defenders to score.

Victory had their Victory and I had my ninety minutes of football. Went back to bed then and slept properly until the morning.

So thankyou, tea, Polish wafer biscuits and the A League. You made insomnia bearable.

Until the next time.









No comments:

Post a Comment