Sunday 1 January 2017

UKIP would love Horatio Hornblower.....Which Is Why I Hate Him


Hello there. Hope you're feeling well today.

If I'd read The Commodore, a Horatio Hornblower novel by C S Forester, five years ago, I would've said that it was an entertaining piece of boys own high seas adventure stuff. Although I would have mentioned that the jingoism was a bit obvious sometimes for the most part it was acceptable stuff.

That was then, this is now. I have changed, Britain has changed. I hate this book because I know that people who I would radically disagree with would love it.

Now before I go on let me acknowledge one fact that both myself and my self of five years ago would have agreed on. This novel is far better than the one other C S Forester book I've read The Gun, which comes highly recommended if the sleeping pills don't work.

And that's it.

The most objectionable thing about this book is it's treatment of anything "foreign". The foreign character range from the enemy,to the suspicious to peoples so weak they need the help of Britain to deal with their wars.Whereas any "English" character bar one  (and for the most part   there was tellingly  rarely any use of Britain/British just England/English) is for whatever faults is noble and trustworthy.

(One quick aside:There is a scene where an attractive Russian countess makes tentatives advances to Hornblower.  His reaction is described as one of revulsion. My reaction was"yeah right").

The point though is that this attitude towards foreigners, the "we're superior than them" tone, is what drives UKIP along. It's why they'd probably want to put the Hornblower novels in the national curriculum if they could. Trouble with this attitude, leaving aside the racism, is that the days when Britannia ruled the waves, had an empire or even a large manufacturing industry has long since gone. Without it, UKIP'S wish fulfilment makes the UK's future even more dangerous.

Now you might say two things. Firstly is it fair for me to comment on C S  Forrester based on the attitudes of today? I would answer by throwing this back at you. Why should the reader of today judge a book on the attitudes of when a book was written?

Secondly you might accuse me of being unpatriotic.  My answer is if the definition of patriotism is the red white and blue Brexit patriotism of the scoundrel then yes I am unpatriotic .

I have a few other Hornblower novels in the great unread. Perhaps my views will change again. Doubt it though.

The actual Penguin book to read next in the great unread is this:

Ibsen - Brand

Of course the great irony is that being Norwegian Ibsen just might be on a UKIP reading list.

Until the next time......oh and happy new year  (let's hope)








No comments:

Post a Comment