Tuesday 26 September 2017

In Which I'm Trapped In My Car Due To Dogs....Mostly On Leads


Hello there. Hope you're feeling well today.

What people who don't have phobias realise, is that you are just going out and living your life (in my case as quietly as possible) when something happens which makes you act abnormally in a situation which to others as normal as breathing.

As regular readers will know I have a phobia of dogs caused by a childhood trauma. And, though I will never claim to be the most sociable of men anyway, it has caused me, for example not to visit the house of certain people of my acquaintance specifically because they keep a canine as a pet.

If I'm on the street and see somebody with a dog towards me and there's no easy spot to get out of the way of the way of the domestic wolf I'll cross the street rather have any chance of it's teeth coming into close contact with any part of my anatomy.

Which leads me to yesterday.

I wasn't at work and needed to pay this month's instalment of the council tax at the Sully post office a short drive from our rented apartment. Being on the main road in the village had to park on a side road nearby.

Sully is, as I've explained before by the sea. Indeed in the normal suburban road I parked in it was there facing me. What I didn't, and of course should have realised was that this closeness is attractive to canine fans, as they can go on long walks along its coastline with [insert name of the wolf here].

So I've parked and just about to go out when I suddenly notice a woman with four, possibly five dogs walking on the pavement. My assumption is that she's a dog walker though for all I know she's a dog lover. My guess is for the former, given how uncomfortable she seems in controlling the canines. Incidentally if I am right she's not the only dog walker in the village. I noticed an poster advertising dogwalking services as I entered the Post Office (it was a different woman to the one I saw in the road).

Anyway I'm being ahead of myself. I'm in the car. Indeed I'm staying in the car until the pack pass my way. I'm sweating. She puts them in the back of her hatchback and drives off. I'm safe....

However along the street then walks a middle aged couple with a black terrier (without lead). Still in my car then.

They pass by...good. I'm out....until I see another Terrier , small, white haired and on a long lead being controlled by a small white haired woman.

This is a conspiracy.

But at last they've gone. Fine I'm out. Walk along to the corner of the road when the middle aged couple I mentioned return. The black terrier stops, and looks at me. I stop. Scared.

"Come to mummy". says the woman as she passes by. The terrier looks at me again. As if deciding what to do, to snack or not to snack. Eventually the power of "mummy" wins as it decides to follow its mistress.

I walk towards the post office, coming towards me is the small white terrier on the long lead. I don't know what to do but cross the road. Becoming a traffic obstruction immediately. No matter. Not near the dog now.

Eventually I reach the Post Office, pay the bill and get back to the car without further incidents. I feel as if I have to catch my breath.

Phobias eh? Makes you scared to go out of the house. Mind you that's a different phobia in itself.

Until the next time.












No comments:

Post a Comment