Friday 1 September 2017

The Hunt For A New Barber


Hello there. Hope you're feeling well today.

Well I've held it for long enough. But the time has come when I need to take some action. My hair is wilder. It's become a silver jungle. I have to get it cut.

Regular readers will know that my hair was cut in a barber van....yes I said van ....just outside Bridgend. However though I still work in that area I don't live there. Should I change jobs to somewhere closer where I live now near Penarth then it would be sheer stupidity to continue with this arrangement.

Time to get a new barber.

I have to get it cut.

And please note the word cut not styled I'm a fifty three year old man unlikely ever to get onto the cover of GQ. Cutting my hair would be fine thankyou.

I've had my hair cut by a man or a woman so I'm not bothered by that. Although I was prepared for an answer to the standard barbery if asked (I assume) by a man.

"Something for the weekend sir?"

"Well tickets to Wales Austria would be nice"

Yesterday (Thursday) I had to do other things in Penarth so found myself there. I do intend to chat about the town properly in a future post for now though once my main business was done the hunt for a new barber began.

(Also note the word "barber". I have a fifty three year old man's caution to the word hairdresser and as to hairstylist.......please)

So wandering around the first thing I notice are a number of "unisex" places for your hair to be cut. Personally I find that such establishments should be fined under the trades descriptions act, if only because I've rarely seen male custom there. They are normally ladies with things in the hair. If looks are of any guide as well, they seem to be staffed by people the most affronted by a request to have your hair cut. As if you're not interested in their artistic coiffuring abilities.....(which to be fair I'm not).

Eventually though I discover barbers....where actual people will cut your hair and with patience listen to your vague instructions as to what you want. Traditional looking places. I can wait. I'm armed with a copy of Bruce Chatwin's book In Patagonia and I know how to use it.

But....

Every single one I went to said I needed to make an appointment. Clearly the Bridgend Barbers Van has spoilt me. After all I just needed to walk in, be patient and my hair would be cut. But no. Appointments would need to be made. Worst though was that the earliest appointment that could be made was next week......next week!

So I drove out of Penarth. Hair still not so much a silver fox as fight between ageing Octopussies (or is it Octopai?). I've made no appointment. I'll try to get it cut in Barry Town during the next few days. Otherwise it'll have to be arranged by the preferred Penarth method.

Oh for the simple days........nostalgia........of a few months back.

Until the next time.



No comments:

Post a Comment