Tuesday 31 October 2017

The Man Who Wore The Spanish Football Shirt In Bridgend



Hello there. Hope you're feeling well today.

So I'm working just outside Bridgend town on Monday. I shouldn't be here but someone had to drop out and so was asked if I'd step in. Of course it meant more money so needs must.

Anyway was working when suddenly I saw the man wearing the Spanish football shirt. Seemed an odd thing to wear in Bridgend given that the weather was slowly morphing into winter mode. So lack of a coat, or even a jumper made you worry for the man's health. But to be honest that wasn't the first thing in my mind.

The first thing in my mind was that he was wearing a Spanish football shirt.

I asked him whether in view of what he was wearing people mentioned Catalonia to him. He replied (in a Welsh accent) "More than I thought" and walked away.

So here was a man who wore a shirt as a fashion statement finding himself being constantly engaged in the Catalonian situation. And no wonder. In my lifetime I can't remember a Spanish/Catalonian news item that has lasted so long in the British media. A referendum for independence by Catalonia resulted in Madrid sending in the blackshirted police. "Only 43% of the eligible voters voted" says the BBC. Well if the Spanish police try to close polling booths perhaps the correct sentence is "Only 43% were able to vote.

Now the Catalan leader is possibly seeking political asylum and Madrid are in the process of taking over the region. An old Spain is coming back.

I too in a storage unit have Spanish football shirts. But when we eventually move to a house I will get those shirts and throw them away.

A gesture I know but sometimes gestures no matter how small are important.

Until the next time.











No comments:

Post a Comment