Saturday 28 October 2017

Why Historical Fiction Writers Need To Cut The Crap, Sinclair Lewis And Other Books


Hello there. Hope you're feeling well today.

Now that I'm in my fifties I've found that I've grown rather sanguine about historical fiction. As long as any liberties the writer takes are so obvious that it can't be ignored ("Not tonight Josephine" said Napoleon as he was too busy on his laptop) then I really don't care. It is after all fiction.

The Great King by Christian Cameron has taught me however that the language used by a historical fiction writer can be equally important to a reader.

He had already annoyed me by staring with a glossary at the beginning of the book (OK OK I get it. You did your research). Then he had a "General Notes On Names And Personages"  (What is this a historical novel or a memory test?).

However what threw me was the beginning of episode two when suddenly the word "crap" was used. I'd always thought it was a Victorian word following from the legendary Thomas Crapper. But on checking the internet (yes I was checking the internet for the origins of the word crap. How sad am I?) I found that it originates in medieval times.

The point is that for the times of the war between Persia against Greece (and others) it was a word modern enough to jolt me away from the historical setting of the novel. There were other words as well (the F word and "barrack room lawyer" comes to mind) and given how proud he was over his historical research the way the author seemed free and easy over the language was surprising.

It occurs mainly in the first half of the book and it's a pity...because...

...although the quote on the cover is going too far ("Christian Cameron is one of the finest writers of historical fiction in the world" - Ben Kane) judged as an entertainment I found myself once my brain was back into ancient Greek gear enjoying the novel immensely. I hadn't expected to have liked this book as I did. You are swept along by the breath of the story he's telling and, and I think this is a good test, when I stopped reading for a while didn't realise how much of the work I'd gone through. Arguably in a good way it was the most surprising book I've read this year.

Finished on my Kindle Sinclair Lewis' 1920 novel Main Street. It's about a woman from the city who marries and moves with her husband to his home town and finds her life constricted by some of the people and surroundings around her.

As a story this worked when you assumed it was just going to be cliche. I thought as a reader that this was going one direction only to find it moving another. You really don't know how things will turn out until the end. Obviously female readers will identify with the main character. But for a man I can also read this as the struggles of a person to adapt to surroundings and attitudes that you are not comfortable with. The pressures when it appears you're battling against the odds. The pressures to conform to a perceived norm of how you should live your life and behave. I've got a few more Sinclair Lewis books to read and after Main Street am looking forward to doing so.

The next ebook turned out to be the 1916 tome My Book Of Indoor Games by Clarence Squareman. I thought this was going to be useful. Half term and all that. But the first group turned out to be games requiring a lot of people, the next bit were things like noughts and crosses which for my daughter's internet generation was just a non starter and only now have we come up to card games. Trouble is the pack of cards is in a box in the storage unit so I'll need to get another pack. This book then is being put on the back boiler. When I get a pack and test these games out I'll come back to you.

So the next ebook turns out to be Somebody's Luggage by Charles Dickens. I mean you don't read Dickens for years and then two come along relatively close to each other.

Ah well.

Until the next time








No comments:

Post a Comment