Tuesday 31 October 2017

The Insomniac's Random Wanderings On The Internet Mainly Down Under Edition


Hello there. Hope you're feeling well today.

And so it's 4:18am and I'm awake. I'm on the internet again.

As it happens I'm listening to the complete library of the Australian Politics Live podcast from Guardian Australia. Why? Well I'm a fan of Guardian podcasts and so am intending to follow most of them.

Regular readers will know I collect things so why not podcasts?

Australian politics from this long, long distance away always seemed to me to be performed from the medium of an MMA cage. No longer though will I act with that arrogance given that we are governed in Britain by a school of baby clowns.

The Australian Prime Minister is Malcolm Turnbull. I remember him as a lawyer decades ago when the British government tried (and failed) in the Australian courts to stop the publication of Spycatcher by Peter Wright. The British government suggested that it was a danger to British security. Having read the book eventually the only real danger to the nation was being bored to death.

It's interesting to me how big the Green Party is there. Also listening to the podcast you find a politician being interviewed when suddenly he (and it is seems to always be a man here) suddenly announces that he has a farm. There seems to be more farmer politicians in Australia than anywhere else.

Just to say as well the presenters Katherine Murphy and Gabrelle Chan are polite with their interviewees but independent which is refreshing to hear.

Twitter tells me that Spanish unionists attack the statue of a Catalonian poet, that's right a poet. A nation afraid of a poet is apparently what Spain has become.

Welcome to the new Spain









No comments:

Post a Comment