Thursday 2 November 2017

In Which We Take The Knap


Hello there. Hope you're feeling well today.

So it's half term. I'm not working Wednesday. The wife's off as well and we face the perennial parent question.

"What are we going to do today?"

This was the last day until Sunday we'd be together as a family. And for me Sunday will be partly spent preparing for the trip I'll be making to Essex on Monday (I'll explain about that at the time) so really today's the day for "family time".

Wife: "Why don't we go to Porthcawl?"

Me: "Are you kidding?!" After all we've lived in that area for seventeen years and she wants to go back for a wander? Unless there's a specific reason I've no intention of visiting Porthcawl, much as I must stress I like the place.

So then says the wife how about Cold Knap where you could just gaze at the sea in pleasant weather conditions? It's just outside Barry Town/Island. Apparently she went there as a child a number of times. I've never heard of the place but didn't mind giving it a go, especially as there was no better idea in my head.

Wife, daughter and myself went to have a pub lunch first nearby. It was edible with  very nice chips but the main meal seemed to be a case of honey I shrunk the full English breakfast. Once our meals were consumed we made the short trip to The Knap car park to begin the wander. And yes, the Cold has apparently gone from the wife's remembrances . Here it was just the Knap.

Before being a case of The sea, the sea. It seemed a wander through The Knap gardens seemed appropriate. Starting with the sort of tree you see in horror movies signifying a fiendish accident is going to happen.




And the thing you begin to notice are the Swans. First you notice there's just the one



From which you're then distracted by the ducks.



And then you realise there's loads of them.



These Swans were impressive looking.



You suddenly realise that you haven't seen as many Swans since they were beaten by West Ham on Match of The Day.



And they seemed to move in near formation as well.



And did I mention they were rather big?



And of course invading.



Then time for a Classic Swan pose which I couldn't resist taking a picture of.



And here they are planning world domination whilst eating grass.



But eventually you walked up some steps and saw The Knap.

First time a picture of wife and daughter have ever been in this blog
And it's a place with great views.



And let's continue on this theme.



Indeed it was a place so surprisingly calm a seagull could contemplate the world as the sun starts to set.

Told you
And you know what? I can see why people like this place. As long as the weather's reasonable it really is somewhere you can just pause and reflect. I'd recommend it. We all liked it.

A rare thing then a day out which had the approval of us all.

Until the next time.


No comments:

Post a Comment