Wednesday 22 November 2017

Reputations: Both In Book and Welsh Labour Form


Hello there. Hope you're feeling well today.

Well yesterday I went to the small Sully library. As you remember my intention is to read every book in that place barring those which at present seems completely stupid for me to do so (for example given that I currently live in an apartment gardening books).

Borrowed two books. This was one of them.

Nigel Farrell - An Island Parish
But the other book I borrowed, and the one I actually finished early this morning, was this:

David Walter/Robert Younger - The Reputation Game
Let me say now that this is not a book designed with me in mind. On reading it I know that it's for go getting young business professionals, of which I'm definitely not. I will also say that it is readable. There are stories to tell and it does so with skill.

But...

on the odd occasions I've read this sort of business/self help book (very rare,can't remember why) it always strikes me as being all style and of a substance I already knew beforehand. Ultimately here your reputation depends on how you conduct yourself. It's common sense really (now that should be a title of a self-help book).

Speaking of reputations let's chat about Welsh Labour. Throughout the time I've done this blog I've argued that their reputation in Wales is based on past glories and is used to hide an arrogant and incompetent present.

Well as I've discussed previously a related issue that the suicide of Carl Sargeant has brought to national attention are allegations of bullying within the Welsh Labour government. Whether true or not I don't know. But it has been led credence by the fact that they have been made by an ex Labour minister and a political adviser, as well as seemingly contradictory answers by the First Minister.

Next Wednesday a vote is due to take place on the Senedd as to whether or not the Assembly should hold an enquiry into the issue. Baring in mind here that it's not just an issue for Welsh Labour (bad as bullying would be in any large organisation) but also for Welsh parliament as if true this was the atmosphere Wales was being controlled by.

Welsh Labour will have to vote for this enquiry. For if they vote against it then the charge will be levelled against them that they are hiding something, even if the allegations are false. In politics as in life, perception counts for a great deal.

But let's assume for the sake of argument that the allegations of bullying are correct. This will damage Welsh Labour far more than Carl Sargeant's tragic death, which only threatens First Minister's Carwyn Jones' career. If these allegations are true then there will be many people involved both as perpetrators and victims. It will take Welsh Labour as an organisation a long time to sort it out.

But also the reputation of Welsh Labour will change as voters will see the current party of Welsh government being shown to be run like a school playground. It will be riven as people would take sides some would have to resign if they are revealed to be "bullies" and you can see television interviews with the "bullied".

Of course even if he was unaware of all of this Carwyn Jones would have to resign.

So you see this issue has the potential of being a slow burner. Labour's "reputation" would be in tatters which would, should, allow Plaid Cymru to make inroads into the Welsh Labour's core vote (let's hope so).

Until the next time.




















No comments:

Post a Comment