Tuesday 7 November 2017

The Cataract Chronicles Part One (Featuring John Le Carre)


Hello there. Hope you're feeling well today.

So it's four am and I'm awake. But I'm not going on the morning shift today. I'm not in South Wales either, I'm in Essex. Precisely in my mother's house. Because two hours later we will be leaving to go a hospital for her cataract operation.

When we get out of the house it's dark. Not thankfully frosty though. The journey took about twenty minutes but as it was not a route I was used to it seemed longer than that.  Eventually however we get there and park.

The treatment is on the NHS. But I found out yesterday that it's a private hospital. Apparently NHS England does that, financing the private sector with public money. If you ask me it's the thin end of the wedge. We're there before seven am. Apparently my mother will be part of a group of people who are being treated at this time. I'm assuming it's all NHS before their "proper customers" arrive.

It's a place of beige and white blandness. There's the air of a hotel to the decor.

I go with my mother from the reception to the waiting room.

"Are you her husband?" One of the nurses ask me. How to deflate your ego in four words.

It's my moment to walk back to the reception. This will take about two hours. I've prepared. Brought my Kindle with me. First though cappuccino. £1 a cup. They should have paid me to drink it. It's mush.

So time to read the Kindle. It's Absolute Friends by John Le Carre. A good read reminding me of Graham Greene. As I continue reading it makes me wonder whether when Communism in Eastern European states is no longer a living memory his novels will suffer. He shouldn't be.

Trouble was,  waking up at such an early hour hit me, I felt like nodding off. But I can't in case I'm needed. Find myself struggling to continue.Eyes droop. But I continue.

90% of the Kindle done. My mother returns with an eye patch making her look less of a pirate and more of a cyborg.

We're at home now. Her sight is gradually returning. Will make sure she's OK  before leaving for Wales on Thursday. Tomorrow mainly reading I think.

Until the next time.








No comments:

Post a Comment